New to this site & about to loose step father

Bridie
New Contributor

Hi, well, I'm new to this website & my step father is about to loose his yr long battle with cancer. We are all devistated. I'm finding it easier to talk to & confide in strangers rather than those close to me, I'm not sure why.. I'm exhausted. I'm so sick of crying & being upset. Today I told myself I was going to have a tear free day - it sort of worked! Didn't cry as much as yesterday... I'm so worried about my mum.... I guess most people on here are in a similar situation to me. Anyway, thanks for listening. Bridie
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Philip
Occasional Contributor

My heart goes out to you. I don't know of anything worse than feeling so helpless that you can't change what is happening. Take comfort where ever you can right now, even if it is with people you don't know that well. You sound like a strong woman who loves her family very much. May you and your mum be each other's strength as you make this time as special and comfortable as possible for your step dad.
0 Kudos
Bec25
New Contributor

Bridie, you will look back on the last year and have so many horrible memories of the sickness and its toll on your step-dad and family, but in time, you will have the most meaningful memories you will cling to forever. i was holding my dad's hand when he died 3 years ago when i was 23 and he was only 54. it would have been his birthday yeasterday. i still think of him every day and wish i could have done something more for him. i miss him so so so much that i still ache, but i also have so many good memories to cling to. i try to think of the important things that he told me and how much he loved me. you will go through your own journey but i hope you are able to come to a place where the good memories are at the forefront and not the bad ones.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.