Newbie with a family member losing their battle

ducckky
Not applicable

Newbie with a family member losing their battle

Hi, I'm Andrea, I'm a 39 yr old stay at home mum from Sydney. I called the cancer hotline today to find a place I could go online to talk & get advise about what we're going through. My Mother in law is the most selfless, kind & caring woman I've ever met. She has had breast cancer for over 20 years but approx 2 yrs ago the tumors spread to her lungs & bones. After drug trials, multiple radiation treatments & chemo she's not doing well. I'm finding it very difficult to cope even though I'm extremely lucky to have an amazing group of family & friends supporting me. A lot of the time I don't want to burden them with whats going on because its such a heartbreaking situation. I try to stay up beat & positive but every time my mother in law gets admitted to pallative care I get very scared & I don't know what to do. I thought by joining cancer connections I could meet other people that are or have been going through what we are. I know its not good to bottle things up but I don't know how do you deal with these difficult days?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Newbie with a family member losing their battle

Hi Duckie, I'm glad you found this site. It's a great place to come to vent/chat/ask/encourage/get support. My husband was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011, and I found the old cliche to be true: 'one day at a time' (or even hour, if a whole day sounds too daunting). When dealing with difficult days, just take it little by little, and do what you can with what you have. Also remember that emotionally there are no rules when it comes to dealing with stuff like this. sending big hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.