People with young children

yvette975
Occasional Contributor

Re: People with young children

Hi everyone, been a long few weeks. Another hospital admission with hubby last week with the worst pain I have seen! Would not have wished it on my worst enemy and barely managed to deal with watching hubby go through it 😞 his moods have been so irratic lately and its been rough on the kids. One minute daddy is yelling at them for the smallest of things and next minute showering them in love. He doesn't even seem to realize he is doing it. So today was chemo hook up day (3days with port every fortnight) and it is cycle 3 of the new chemo so we were to find out today if it's working. Turns out apparently not 😞 another slap in the face for my beautiful family from this horrible disease. My heart hurts for him and yet he just taked it on the chin like the trooper he is. I see his pain n sadness though. Sorry just to vent and bail but munchkins are calling. Love and thanks to all of you. Some days just seeing your posts and knowing im partly normal is helpful ox
0 Kudos
purpleangels
Contributor

Hey Yvette! Yes it is so hard to watch your partner yell at the kids for no apparent reason......but they will understand. My two (5 & 😎 knew that dad was sick and that's why he was cross and they couldn't sit on the bed and bounce around. Pain makes people (especially men) into totally different beings...... It got so bad in the last months of my husbands life that the kids were pretty much banned from our bedroom, they didn't understand the need to be quiet and gentle......broke my heart, but it made life easier all round. My husband was faecally incontinent for the last year of his life, so that made for a few interesting discussions about poo...... Which my kids now look back at and laugh about when daddy was stinky and pooed his nappy.......and the time my then four year old son offered daddy one of his pull ups for his 'akdents'...... Kids are priceless!!!!!! Just hug them tighter when daddy yells and whisper in their ear that dad loves them more than ever....... That's what I did......they'll get it!! Loads of love and hugs coming your way tonight!! PA xxx
0 Kudos
Selly
Occasional Contributor

Geez symphony I swear you can read my mind. i'm so sick of the 'you need to stay strong' etc etc. I feel like I am the only person in the world going through this with young children too. happy thoughts 🙂
0 Kudos
Melanie
Contributor

Thanks so much for your response 🙂 I am very lucky to be blessed with an amazing little baby, who took everything in her stride & slept when she was suppose to sleep, feed when she was suppose to & smiled when I needed it 🙂 I never had baby blues (which everyone was waiting for considering) I just poured everything I could into her. When waiting for Ben at the hospital during his surgery, I doted on her, I feed, I played, I cuddled, she was the perfect age- I could take her anywhere. I have been thinking about the cancer council - but I just never seem to get there. I really should make it a priority. We did (or sorry I should say Ben did) the Vit c & oxygen treatment at Churchills just after he was diagnosed. The neurosurgeon sent us away with a "wait & see respond" and we clearly did not think we had time to wait & see, so we researched the alternative options & did the treatment for 3 months. It is a costly experience (although don't forget to claim it through tax) It is a hard time for the patient, Ben found it really tiring & also a bit of downer as they all sit around doing the same treatment all for the same reasons. Kind of like doing chemo. It didn't help Ben unfortunately, but I am a big believer of each person has a different response to treatments- so don't let our experience taint you trying anything. All I can recommend is to do your research, there is lots on the internet about vit. c treatments I like the sound of that book & will try & hunt it down. We live in Perth about 10 mins from the city, but know the albany drive well as I have family down that way. If you have any questions about churchill ask away 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi everyone, Thanks for all your great contributions and responses on this thread. I'm just popping in to to reshare some information that I posted on another of Carolinejane's posts earlier today: http://www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/where-can-i-advise-young-brother-hey-help-13-yr-old-sister-grieving-mum Canteen(www.canteen.org.au)offer a range of free national support options for young people aged between 12-24 affected by cancer. Canteen's Counselling Program may be able to assist your children: www.canteen.org.au/how-we-help/counselling/ Please call 1800 226 833 or email support@canteen.org.au Canteen also offer an online community specifically for young people aged between 12-24 affected by cancer: www.nowwhat.org.au/ Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Jmum
New Contributor

Hello there - thought I would join this conversation. I was diagnosed with Stage 3/4 Ovarian Cancer in February this year ... When my baby was 5 mths old. He is now 13 mths and the light of my life - thought we would be finishe ethics journey several months ago but it just keeps going on and on and on. Found out yesterday our frontline treatment is not working and even though I feel fine (apart from being tired) and scans show no visible cancer it is still there. We are swapping treatments so hopefully this will knock it out completely - failure is not an option as far as I am concerned. Luckily our little one has been fabulous - I know what you mean about throwing yourself into them Melanie. We have been very lucky to have such a placid and adaptable child.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.