Renal Cancer - Northern Brisbane

talljohn
Occasional Contributor

Re: Renal Cancer - Northern Brisbane

Hi Jan I'm so pleased that you and Kevin were able to be married and to have a little time together before he died. You are obviously a strong woman and I'm sure in time you will "come out the other end". Then, all those happy times will be remembered most. As for me, I did it! I had a CT scan which showed no change to a couple of suspect spots in my good lung, so I was off. Last Tuesday I returned from a 25 day trip to Egypt (8 nights) and Italy (15 nights). Had a fabulous time so after my next CT scan in a couple of months I may be off again. Doing it while I can ... please keep in touch, John.
0 Kudos
Jules_68
Contributor

Hi Jan, www.kidneycancer.org.au have been wonderful to me. There counselors are renal nurses and know there kidneys. 3% of all cancer is kidneys, so there is much more to be discovered about this cancer. Their phone number is: 1800 454 3639. I sent an email over the weekend with concerns of traveling and how to explain to mum/sister/close family members. Renal nurse Anisley has just called this morning and we spent half hour on phone discussing kidney health and the "glass half full" which I seem to have emptied...ooops. Take care and call the number if you have any questions, even if you think it's a silly question......the counselors will laugh and cry with you. Jules (fellow kidney cancer survivor)
0 Kudos
Jan_lw
Occasional Contributor

Hi John, How fabulous - you did it and I bet you had the most fantastic time. Would love to hear where you went in Italy. I am going there early next year with my sister. She has been going there for the past 20 years and wants to show me the sites. I have friends in Switzerland and Holland so might get to see them too. To be honest, I have no excitement but Im sure that will come as time gets closer. Are you packing your bags for your next trip John. They tell me its very addictive and what an addiction to have....costly but hey what the heck..... Hope you are keeping well and all results are coming back in your favour. Jan
0 Kudos
RoseM
Not applicable

Hi Jan My name is Rose, I also live on the north side of Brisbane and my husband Russell (early 60's) was also recently diagnosed with level 4 renal cancer that has spread to his lungs. He had 1/3 of one kidney and 1/2 of the other removed in 2009 to remove 3 tumours but unfortunately it has returned and is now inoperable. At this stage he has just finished about 10 days of Sutent but had very nasty side effects so has decided to no longer have treatment, we are aware that this means he has a limited life span of about 6-9 months. I am also looking for ways to help him gain some weight as it is just falling off him, he vomited for about 7 days straight while on sutent which didn't help. May I wish you and Kevin all the best for the future and I am sorry I cannot offer any suggestions except let know that you are not alone in this battle. At this stage our motto is - Yes you are dying but NOT TODAY. Best wishes Rose
0 Kudos
deniseford
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan Firstly I am saddened to hear your husband has passed. I am also on the north side of Brisbane in Burpengary....my husband was diagnosed in August 2009. He had the kidney out and according to his urologist all was good....unfortunately that was not to be. They found it had metatisised to his left lung in July 2011 (he had his left upper lobe removed), once again in December 2012 they found nodules in his right lung and had a wedge section removed. At the end of February this year he went for a check up and they hit us with 'sorry it is no longer operable....multiple nodules in both lungs' at the moment other then knowing it is inside him growing his health is good, we have been told he will start on a drug called Votrient within the next two months. I have found a lot of information about it all (mostly american cancer sites)...but right now we are after a support group for the Brisbane North area....any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated....as you probably already know...it can be a lonely road. Family and friends have been great....but talking with other people who are also going through it would be a help. Looking forward to hearing from you Denise
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.