The power of positive thinking

April
Occasional Contributor

The power of positive thinking

Hi everyone. Today I found out that my dear friend's mother has liver cancer. I am a true believer in the power of positive thinking and desperately would like to send his mother a book or something that has been put together of the survivors out there and their success stories. I really want to to help this lady believe that she has a chance in fighting this disease. Does anyone know of any good books that I could take a look at? Many thanks April.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

Re: The power of positive thinking

Hi April, I find the personal stories of Petrea King (NSW) and Ian Gawler (Vic) pretty inspirational - both of whom were "terminal". Both are alive and healthy some 20-30 odd years later and both who run retreats for people with cancer/serious illnesses. Petrea has a bit more of a focus on emotions/mind while Ian a bit more on diet. And yes I do know some good books, so many in fact that none come to mind.... Give me a while and I'll post back. U can
0 Kudos
swivel
New Contributor

Try switch words. When you access the sub-conscious you switch on or off the effects that we hold. Swivel.............
0 Kudos
Not applicable

After seeing the how some people feel this pressure to be positive and in response, create this façade of positivity while beneath there are some real emotions that need to come out. Yet the view that anger, sadness and despair are "negative" emotions causes people to swallow them and try to be "positive". I decided to find out what the medical literature says. So I've done some research on what scientific trials have investigated the effects of positvity and emotions in outcomes of patients. The results were surprising. The article is at http://ucanlive.blogspot.com/2011/10/to-be-positive-or-not-to-be-cancer.html but to sumarise: * True positivity that is in alignment with how you feel is good for your health; it improves survival times. So does ranting, raging and crying. * Superficial positivity and suppression of emotions is not good for you health; it reduces survival times. So does grin-and-bear-it attitude and a tendency to avoid problems. hope it helps.
0 Kudos
April
Occasional Contributor

Hi u_can, Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. I will take a look at the link and get back to you. Thanks again u_can
0 Kudos
April
Occasional Contributor

Hi u_can, A very good article, thanks for sending this to me. Do you think I should still purchase Petrea King's book as I have it on order? and do you think it is still a good choice for my friend's mother after reading the blog. Thanks u_can.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi April, I will admit I havn't read Petrea's book, but I do know her personally and believe so much in what she teaches that I volunteer with her organisation. She talks about recognising that we are not our emotions, we have them and to express them as they arise. Which I feel is part of the problem with thinking positively by suppressing emotions. I think everything that I wrote about in the blog has a similar take to that of Petrea. U can be wonderful 😉
0 Kudos
April
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this, I really appreciate your help and advise. I picked up Petrea's book today and it looks really good. Thanks again u_can
0 Kudos
Gai
New Contributor

Hi April I hope you enjoy Petrea's book. I would also recommend her meditation CD's. Her book and CD's were a significant help to me when I was diagnosed and started a love of meditation that has continued for 12 years. I was lucky to meet with Petrea last week and was able to see the work first hand that her and her team continue to do Gai
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.