Thinking positive

doreen
Occasional Contributor

Thinking positive

the last 7 months positive thinking was the only way i could cope with mums cancer i would tell everyone including the doctors that she was fine nothing wrong with her....mum looks so great for her 83 years so full of life ....now the professor tells us 2 or 3 months how can they say that for sure... only god can make that decision...i feel like i'm falling into a great hole....mum is being so strong and brave...how do i get back to were i was a few days ago... my heart is breaking ...i know i have to pull my self together...we have a long tough road ahead...
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Louise_E
Occasional Contributor

Re: Thinking positive

I too practise positive thinking, now I'm practising acceptance as well. Hard to do when I really want a postponement of the inevitable. There's a saying "Grant me the wisdom(?) to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference" that sums up my current outlook. Just knowing others find it tough going is somehow comforting to me. I'm usually the strong one, hard to accept I am as vulnerable as I feel at times. I am starting to realise how important it is to care for myself and I've just spoken to Carers Victoria about getting counselling because now it's more about facing the facts. I still head into denial even as I say that. Anyway, I hope you are doing ok Doreen.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.