Tips for caring success

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tips for caring success

How are things going for you @CalmCloud ?

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
New Contributor

Thanks @Anonymous for asking. My dad is stable now and taking pills everyday to keep his blood cells numbers down. We do need to visit doctors regularly but seems it is not as worse as we thought it would be. And we think every single day is a God’s gift and will be very grateful to wake up in the morning that we have gain another day again and again...So just let it be, and sometimes when you forget you are sick you may actually get rid of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you and yours going @MargieSM 

0 Kudos
MargieSM
Occasional Contributor

Thank for asking @Anonymous. Surgeon happy with hubby's recovery from Whipple 5 weeks ago. Waiting to see oncologist to find out what comes next is so very difficult but we understand that a complete recovery from surgery is essential before commencement of chemo. We are trying to enjoy the sunny days by going out for drives, lunch and relaxing. Hubby doesn't want to see anyone apart from family members but I'm in need of some social contact outside family. I need patience.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending knowing thoughts your way @MargieSM . My hubby did not want any visitors whilst he was in hospital (Covid restrictions made it easier for me on this front) and 5 months on still is not keen to have many people visit and rarely speaks to anyone on the phone. Prior to this we often invited people over for meals. We don't live close to family but I have made an effort to have a weekly catch up for coffee with a  friend which gets me out the house. I sometimes stop at the local garden centre and enjoy looking at the plants (and on occasions making a small purchase 😁)

If you are able, catching up with friends and/or participating in any interest you have outside of home helps keep resentment at bay. 

0 Kudos
VM
Contributor

How are you going Darcy? I see you posting for others...and so am wondering how YOU are  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

images - 2020-06-15T130243.740.jpeg

Hi @VM 

In limbo at present, have follow up CT and oncologist appt next week where radiotherapy will be discussed. If this goes ahead, which we suspect it will, it will entail a 6 week trip to the big smoke (we live in a country town).   Hoping there might be more clarity in relation to CT as to whether or not a region seen on last scan is likely due to the aftermath of his infection (which was previously thought to be most likely after CT films done at different locations were compared) vs recurrence.

How are things at your end? How are you and your husband coping?

0 Kudos
VM
Contributor

Hmmmm I would find that quite disorienting. I hope you have networks to look after the place while you are away?  Sooo big smoke being Sydney or Melbourne, or Brizzy? Is there some way I can support you?

Regarding us, we went away for a few days to Armidale and to Willow Tree near Tamworth. Some good friends came up to join...bless em...but I would have liked to have hubs to myself. I know he isn't vulnerable but I feel vulnerable for him...does that make sense? And a close friend lost his sister in law on the weekend. She had lung cancer, was doing well, even kayaking for heaven's sake. Off to have 3 litres of fluid drained then the shyte hit the fan...gone within 2 days

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can understand you wanting a break with hubby on your own @VM . No obligations to anyone.  I know everyone reacts differently to grief, but one wonders how much of a brave face our husbands put on. 

Adelaide is the big smoke for us and yes we have some friends who will look after garden.  We can stay with my sister whilst we are there as she is happy for us to bring our dogs, the only concern would be if there is a Covid outbreak as she works in aged care.  Six weeks seems a long time away from home, but hubby will do what needs to be done.

I am just plodding along, hoping for the best but knowing I need to plan for the alternative particularly in relation to my work situation, but also do what I can to make the most of the time we have left whether that be months or years.

Hubby does not have a bucket list and is content to be at home. We try and get out the house and do some sightseeing or the like once a week. He is the one cracking the whip to ensure we do a bit of work each day , phase 1 of kitchen garden completed, now working on finishing our porch area which needs painting and floor coverings after builder filled it in. We  have washed down the walls and today we bought some sanding and painting supplies for the next phase of project. 

0 Kudos
VM
Contributor

Oh sweet lady. You are awesome. I know it is inappropriate but I wish I could support you more. It seems to me that your outlet is helping others....that's me too. I stayed on line with a dear woman who was sitting with her husband in the  US...hospice while he died.... using what I knew from my experience with Chris....I was there for her as you have been for others  and me in the forum. Gosh this is special stuff. I do believe the wounded heal their wounds by being there for others.

As to hubs not having a bucket list....I feel his is fixing the place up for you my lovexx

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.