To all carers of someone with any kind of cancer

Not applicable

To all carers of someone with any kind of cancer

As carers we can run ourselves 'ragged' just trying to do everything for the one we love and in my case (without a miracle) the one we will lose soon. We must let go whatever is not necessary to do right now, and take blocks of time out for ourselves...whether that is just a shower or to read for 15 minutes. If not, then the carer will fall apart and where does that leave the patient. Good luck and god bless to all you carers. Jeaniel
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
candlelight
Not applicable

Re: To all carers of someone with any kind of cancer

Jeanie, Yes time for yourself is so important. Just because you are taking time for you doesnt mean you love your loved one with cancer any less. It actually means you can reenegize and then be able to really be of good help to your loved one. I am faced with losing a family member from cancer.... yet again. I have to have some lessons learnt from loved ones having this horrible disease. And one: self care is so so important. God bless you all.
0 Kudos
Selly
Occasional Contributor

I too am a carer for my husband who I will lose sooner rather than later. We have 3 beautiful young children who keep me going. I find it hard that the once strong man who used to take care of me to now need to be cared for. All the very best for you.
0 Kudos
Lmalvern
Not applicable

Hi my name is Liz My husband is facing cancer again for the second time and I am feeling as though I am not well ever since he has been diagnosed I suffer with an upset bowel on & off is this normal to have things happen to your body. I would like to know if any one else experiences these problems.
0 Kudos
garyowencat
New Contributor

I think I can relate to this. I am caring for my father and am starting to feel chest pains and loss of appetite. I guess its our bodies and minds trying to cope with the stress
0 Kudos
garyowencat
New Contributor

I think I can relate to this. I am caring for my father and am starting to feel chest pains and loss of appetite. I guess its our bodies and minds trying to cope with the stress
0 Kudos
Lorraine
Occasional Contributor

You know what? Cancer sucks but what makes the journey to recovery - whether the recovery is through medicine or through passing, is the way relationships change. My mum's journey, which is still going on, has brought me closer to her, has made me more compassionate to many more and lastly, has made me realize that being a carer is a sacred, unique privilege - even though at the time you can't see that.
0 Kudos
topenddownunder
Contributor

My story is a little different...I am the Carer for my wife (aneurysm..8 years ago) and 4 months ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung Cancer, so she has kind of taken on the roll of caring for me when I have Chemo etc (which knocks me around a bit)I thought I was a pretty good Carer for her, but am learning the little things she does for me are the special things I appreciate the most..and when I have my "Good Days" I try to make a special effort to make her day happy.Being a Carer and a "Caree ??" puts me in a unique situation, and being with someone 24/7 definitely has its testing moments but we seem to be handling it OK knowing that we are battling these diseases together.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.