Welcome to the family and friends group

Not applicable

Welcome to the family and friends group

Hi everyone, and welcome to the group for carers and partners, family and friends of people with cancer. Feel free to post a message on this page and to invite others who have a loved one with cancer. Looking forward to meeting you on the site. Louisa
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
I_Miss_My_Mums_
Occasional Contributor

Re: Welcome to the family and friends group

Im happy to be apart of this group as im a young carer looking after my mum.
0 Kudos
I_Miss_My_Mums_
Occasional Contributor

Im happy to be apart of this group as im a young carer looking after my mum.
0 Kudos
Michaelna
Not applicable

Im hoping that being part of this group it will help me gain strength and allow me to become positive in the position im in.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

To those of you still to face this journey - it's a a hell of a trip to come. But... As bad as it got for my Mum, mastectomy + chemo + radiotherapy + IV antibiotics for infection + blood clot + radiation burns (you name it she got hit with it) the end result is the all clear a few weeks ago!!!! It was all worth it. I hope this gives some hope to you out there. It's not a fun trip and can seem like the cure is worse that the disease but in the end the result can be good! Good luck to everyone ❤️
0 Kudos
Not applicable

thank you for letting be a part of this group... my mum has pancreatic and omentum cancer.... my brothers,My dad and her sister, my husband, my nephew and i are on this journey with our beautiful mum... I find it hard being in an other state and being to far away ... i feel a sense of gulit not being there to help her. my mum was told nearly 18 months ago that she was told she has cancer.. and a very aggressive one at that... she is terminal she hasnt been given a time frame... so each day is a blessing that we still have her with us ... her sister is in melbourne with my mum and she is a great help not just for mum but my brothers , my dad and myself.... Im waiting around today to see what my mum's ct scan results are im hoping that its good news that the tumor's havent got any bigger....I have been seeing a counseller also to help me through the gulit of not being in melbourne with my mum. I also have ben through the loss of my Nana 4 weeks ago who was my rock and kept me postive through out the last few months. my husband is great he is very supportive as he has been through it with his dad 12 years ago....i get to melbourne as often as possiible.. im heading down there soon.. to have 2 weeks with mum.i dont get down to melbourne as much as i would like to as im trying to have a Baby and i Work also so the time i do have down there with my mum is time well spent I love my mother so much and hate seeing and hearing her in pain.Mum just isnt my mum but my best friend . I love her and I hate what this horribble CANCER is doing to her...Thank you for letting me vent i look forward in hearing from some one soon.... Dooey
0 Kudos
aussieboone
Not applicable

Hi i hope this message doesn't give anyone the idea that there is no hope. My wife was diagnosed with multiple tumours late February, she has been in & out of hospital since & 2 weeks ago she was moved to a Continuing Care Hospital for Pallative Management. In all she has been in hospital for 5 weeks now & is growing weaker everyday, she has had multiple seizures this week due to the Brain Tumours. I have had to stop work to just be by her side through this time, my wife does not have long to live & will leave behind a stronger husband & 16yr old son & together we are determined to stay strong & help other people who are about to or are going through the same thing. My wife has to this day not given up, she is still fighting this horrible desease & will until the day she closes her eyes for the last time. I urge anyone going through a similar thing to stay positive & ensure your partner, parent, family or friend that you will be behind them 100%, this is what these people need to hear to keep them positive.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

thank you... you stay strong for your wife but most of all for yourself and your son... My mum has been in having in home pallative care now as there is no more they can do.... she has had a really bad day today with the pain of the tumours....if pain gets any worse that when the nurse come into her home and give her pain relieve...as my mum wants to stay at home.... she cant have no more chemo as her body just cant take it anymore... IM A VERY STRONG WILLED PERSON but i am finding it very hard to deal with the fact that im going to lose my bestfriend being my beautiful mother.. it has been my postitvety that has got me and mum so far in the journey.... you stay strong and poistive ... take care Dooey
0 Kudos
Lorraine
Occasional Contributor

HI all. Certainly, the hardest thing is being 'family,' feeling 'helpless,' feeling your world has changed forever. However, it's exactly in being family where you strength lies. With my mum, her appreciation and deeper love for us every time we do something little - or large is amazing. Anything: sitting with her, talking to her, making her cups of tea, helping her put ointment on her sores etc. are moments of intense love. So go, LOVE HEAPS!!
0 Kudos
safarigirl
Not applicable

Hi all,I have just started to read messages from here again. My mum was diagnosed last April and it came as a surprise to as all. Mum went through her frist 6 months of chemo and all was going well until she had a check-up with her surgeon and he told her that her bloods were not right, sent her for a ct scan and colonoscopy. Went to see oncologist and discovered that the cancer is back and had moved, now near her liver,gall bladder and in between the two main blood vessels near her spine and is in-operable. So we are back on the chemo marry-go-round and this time it is hitting her hard. Pain is also a major factor this time round as she has tumor deposits on her head and back, so lying or sitting is very hard. But I am trying to keep her spirits up as much as I can, try and get her out and about.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.