i dont even know where to begin!

stormlee
Not applicable

i dont even know where to begin!

Im 23 yo female studying (to be a police officer). my life feels like its just getting on track an i find out my mum has cervical cancer. my mum and i dont really get along (a long story) but with how sick she is i feel i have to be involved. my mum starts chemo and radiation therpy next week and i feel so selfish but my life is so busy i dnt knw how to look after her or where to begin. ive lived out of home since i was 13 yo, so my mum and i have many deep rooted issues. i am now happily married and have been for 4 years, and am worried who will look after mum if my husband and i cant. how much is too much when taking on helping mum? and who can i talk to (other than my beautiful husband)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Re: i dont even know where to begin!

Hi Stomlee, We are here if you need. I dont know if you're in sydney, but I'm holding a group for young adults with cancer in August and you're welcome to talk to us then. When it comes to your mum, you dont need to take on anything. Don't feel that you need to look after or prop her up. What is important is just letting her know that she has someone else to talk to (you) when and if she needs. Also, let her know that you love her. Take on as much as you feel good about, because you love her - not because you have to. As soon as you start to regret helping or looking after her, then you've taken on to much. I hope that helps. U can.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.