oesophagus cancer

kwhite
Not applicable

oesophagus cancer

Hi, my father came home yesterday after havingthe large surgery where stomach is all reconstructed to make new oesophagus. (cancer and Barrets)He is 78 and now weighs 54 kilos. Today he ate a bit of lunch but drank straight after. Is this what made him then lose the lot 10 minutes later in the bathroom? He is very depressed and anxious and wants to talk to anyone who has gotten thru this. He was told yesterday also that they did not get it all, and it has /had broken thru the wall. They also took 20 lymph and gall bladder. We would really appreciate anyone's reply. Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
bev
Frequent Contributor

Re: oesophagus cancer

Hello, If you want to talk to someone, check out my latest blog. I would like to suggest to you that you contact the helpline 131120 and press option 3. That puts you in contact with Cancer Connect, they will take some details (with your dad's permission) and try to match him up with a volunteer who has experienced similar to him.
0 Kudos
Bill
Occasional Visitor

Re: oesophagus cancer

Hi, I've just reached my 4-year anniversary of the same operation as your father. At the time, I was 66 and told that I would be treated "aggressively" !! My normal weight at the time was 75-76kg which dropped to 68kg due to the cancer. During treatment (chemo, more chemo and combined chemo/radiotherapy) I managed to get to 77kg and now I'm consistently 77-78kg. My wife, Patricia, contacted the Cancer Council (NSW) regarding a suitable diet pre operation. The hospital provided a dietitian to advise specially for oesophagheal cancer patients - it so happens she said my wife's regime was spot on and we've stuck to it since. As explained by my surgeon, the repositioned stomach is of course smaller in capacity and not flexible in the higher position - hence, obviously, I can eat only small meals (about 400ml) more often and drink in between. Feel free to ask any questions, talk, etc. Kindest regards, Bill
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.