A few questions

Sunshine006au
Contributor

A few questions

We are getting ready to bring my dad home after a 2 month stay in hospital for a total laryngectomy. Last Friday I met with the CNC & there were so many things he told me but my mind was in a fog & I was upset at the time. My question is - my dads wound is not healing, a few weeks ago the Dr's told me that the radiation had damaged all the blood vessels in dads neck (Dad had 3 wks of rad in May this yr)& this is why the last 2 op's dad had have failed (muscle flaps to close the wound)but the CNC on Friday said that the wound isn't healing because Dad may still have cancer in the area, that is when I fell apart, I went numb...I know the radiation has caused a fistula in dads salivary glands & they also said a few weeks ago that this was delaying the wound to close.When dad had the laryngectomy they removed some suspicious lymph glands & when the pathology came back it stated they were cancerous, then dad had the 1st op to repair the wound & they removed more lymph glands, this time from both sides of the neck & pathology came back negative..this is where I am confused, if there was more cancer wouldn't the nodes have been positive ??? If anyone can help me it would be most appreciated. Cheers Al
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable

Re: A few questions

Hi Al, Cancer can spread in many ways, through blood, lymph glands and even through lymph fluid. The first glands removed were positive, it may have spread from them. Have you spoken to the nurses on the Helpline at Cancer Council Victoria? They provide an excellent service by phone and are available from 8.30am to 8pm on 13 11 20. Hope this helps Joy K
0 Kudos
Sunshine006au
Contributor

Re: A few questions

Hi Joy Thanks for the info, I will give them a call tomorrow, I just find that when I am talking to dads Dr's it just doesn't sink in....at the time I think "ok I have to remember that" but when I walk away it's gone...I'm so confused & god only knows how dads feeling...Once agian thankyou for the info. I will let you know how I go after the call. Many Thanks Al 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.