Chemo for esophageal gastric cancer

Kathryn4380
New Contributor

Chemo for esophageal gastric cancer

Hello ... I'm hoping someone can give me a heads up .. my husband who is 68 has undergone 2 rounds so far of chemo for esophageal /stomach cancer and this second round has knocked him for a six - his fatigue is total .. can barely roll over in bed and hasnt been out of bed except to go to the hospital for fluids for 10 days now.  He is so exhausted that I asked his oncologist for a review before he gets another dose, which was due tomorrow, which he has agreed to.  We live in country Queensland and have to travel for his chemo.   He's hardly eating, nearly all his sustenance is coming from sustegin  or hydralite with the odd small bowl of cereal or mashed potato ... his stomach  cant seem to cope with anything else.   He also has all the other peripheral side affects of chemo.   Has anyone else reacted this way?

I appreciate any and all comments  Thankyou Kathryn

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Chemo for esophageal gastric cancer

Kathryn
Every individual reacts differently to chemo,.The symptoms you describe can happen to anyone and I think the actual health of the person receiving this treatment has a bearing too,I lived on sustagen blended with bananas and scrambled eggs on toast,during this period,you certainly are right in asking for a review before the next chemo is given.Best wishes to you both .
Kj
0 Kudos
Kathryn4380
New Contributor

Thankyou Kj .. I appreciate the comment ... we will keep on keeping on 🙂

0 Kudos
Sue1

Hi Kathryn... My husband has esophageal cancer and he had symptoms very similar to your husband,  Mine was admitted to hospital and had TPN feeding for 3 weeks.  Once chemo and radiation was completed he did improve slowly.  We also had to travel for treatment, which made it very tiring for him.  Speak to your oncoligist.

Sue

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.