I'm not sure which board to post this on.. I apologize if I posted in the wrong place.
For about six months, I've had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck. At first, my doctors weren't concerened because it hadn't been there long, but after two months, I went in to see an ENT (doctor's orders). My ENT was unaware of the lump and it was slightly deep in my neck so he couldn't feel it at the time. He did say however, that all of my lymph nodes in my neck were swollen. I also discovered at this appointment that my tonsils were huge and my uvula was disgustingly large. This wasn't very surprising because I have suffered from strep throat for years. He decided I should have a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy. The surgery went terrifyingly wrong and I was hospitalized twice afterwards for the pain and my disablity to eat or drink anything. When I was finally on the path to healing, I found out that I had a terrible yeast infection in my throat. My doctors said this was concerning because I had just had surgery and they brought up the lump in my neck. They asked if it was still there and it is. I told them it had grown slightly bigger since my last appointment for it and they said that if it it still there by my next appointment, (the 10th), I should have a needle biopsy. I've already had an untrasound on it that came back normal but if my doctors are concerned, should I be? My family has a history of cancer and I've had several health issues since this year began. Shortness of breath, chest pain, loss of appetite, weight loss, fatigue. Sometimes I have unbearable pain in my ribs and chest. I dont know if these symptoms are connected but I am suspicious. Can anyone help?
I too find it confusing that there are so many different 'boards'. Many questions and comments seem to cross over between multiple boards. I only found your post by going to the home page, scrolling to the bottom and clicking on the "All Posts" link.
If you are concerned about the time between now and the 10th (over 2 weeks) speak with your doctors to see if you can get in earlier by going on a wait-list for appointments that become available through cancellations. If this is really worrying you, perhaps you could try turning up in person at the practice and sit waiting for a slot between appointments. It all depends on how anxious you are and how much free time you have to nag them about the urgency of YOUR condition.
You did not provide much detail about the location of the lump ni your neck. I had 2 lumps in my thyroid and ended up getting the right half removed because they couldn't get clear samples after 4 attempts. I now take a thyroxine tablet EVERY morning at 6 am (and then I go back to bed on weekends).
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Be part of this supportive community