Elderly father with stage 4 lung cancer - side effects

Bordercollie
New Contributor

Elderly father with stage 4 lung cancer - side effects

Hello all, hope u are all doing ok.   I have a question re side effects of chemo. My dad is on his fourth and hopefully last chemo treatment next week.  He also has immunotherapy with the chemo.   He was doing really well up to a week ago , only suffering from a little fatigue.  Over the last week he has had a heart issue, can’t walk due to weakness in his legs and now has a swallowing issue and has phlegm build up in the back of his throat which he keeps coughing up.  He has seen a speech therapist for the swallowing issue, a cardiologist for the heart issue.   This has all come on in the last week and he is struggling badly.    Is this normal during chemo?   The doctors don’t seem worried but my dad thinks he is never going to get better now.  He particularly is worried about the swallowing and constant phlegm as he nearly chokes when trying to cough it up.   Would be interested if anyone has advice.  Thanku.  

4 REPLIES 4
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Elderly father with stage 4 lung cancer - side effects

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear about your Dad.

I don't personally have any experience with immunotherapy. There are many different types of chemotherapy treatments and depending on the treatments, they can effect different people in different ways.

What sort of cancer does he have or what sort of cancer is he having treatment for?

What is the chemo that he is having? Throat cancer?

By the way, nice looking border collie. Am I correct to assume that he/she is yours?

-s

0 Kudos
Bordercollie
New Contributor

Thanku for replying 😊. Sadly my dad passed away , he had what the doctors called paraneoplasty, something like that,  and he passed away in2 weeks of that diagnosis.     It was devastating quick .  We had hoped to hav a couple of years.   My dad was playing golf, line dancing, living independently at the age of 82.   The paraneoplasty took him from us in 2 weeks.   

0 Kudos
Bordercollie
New Contributor

Yes my two beautiful borders have been my comfort 

0 Kudos
BlueMoonshine
New Contributor

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Father.

I believe he is dancing  in heaven.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.