Hi

kerryrayner
Not applicable

Hi

Hi everyone, I joined this site as 2 weeks ago I found out that my younger sister of 29 has bowel cancer that has spread to her liver and lungs. The doctors have operated on her and have removed most of the bowel cancer. She is now in hospital recovering from this surgery. They have said when she recovers from this they are going to start kemo therapy and then look at operating on the liver to remove that cancer. I guess I am just looking to talk to others who have some experience or can offer advice on what she is going through so that I can best support her through this.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
wapwap48
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi

Hi, sorry to hear about your sister. My mum was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer at 60. (What a present for her 60th hey!?) Dr removed the tumour (10cm) in bowel, tried chemo on liver(tumour was size of an egg), but operated after that didn't work and her liver regenerated, how great are some organs!? She also has some small spots on her lung, which are treated with chemo, its maintenance, but she looks so well, and feels pretty good in comparison to the earlier treatments. its Been 2 yrs now And its Been a Never ending rollercoaster, but I think your sister will have her age on her side, she is young, and sounds like a great supportive family right behind her. do you plan on going to the treatments with her? That would be a great help to have company and someone to test patience with in the waiting rooms 😉 yawn 😉 I remember talking to a Dr who I met at dancing, and she told me she had seen many people bounce back from this, that made me feel good too :)keep us up-to-date with how she goes...and you xo
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Re: Hi

Hi Kerry, Just this last week I have been corresponding with a friend in new zealand. I had st3c colon ca in 1998.I had surgery and a year of chemo and have been ca free for 15 years . Virginia and I were on the same chemo(no longer used) and we have stayed in touch. She had part of her colon removed and a wedge resection to remove liver mets. Then a year of chemo. she just finished year 19 still ca free. It is no an easy road. I wish her the best of luck and hugs to you. Ron.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.