Husband has just had radical prostatectomy

Joan
New Contributor

Husband has just had radical prostatectomy

My husband has just had his 1st surgery (radical prostatectomy) and many complications came along with it. It was prostate cancer, Gleason score of 6-7. Apparently 3 things made his surgery harder, slim build i.e. pelvic area smaller for the surgeons to work on/in him; the prostate was very very near the rectum so more surgery was needed and more tissue to cut through with his build. John did not find the recovery at all easy and was only discharged from a major hospital on Saturday 28th May, 2016, after 12 days of hospitalization. He was discharged with no pain relief, no contact had been made with Community Nurses in our area and we have been back to our ER twice since then. The thing that made me so cranky was that not until 5.30pm (he went in at 7.30am) did a doctor contact me to say he was out of surgery, -- he was in recovery at 1.30pm (I found out later) -- that he was still having complications and would be on a ward when practical. I went and chased up information myself, found out what ward he was going to and sat and waited till 7.05pm when I saw my gorgeous husband of 41 years again. Anyway --- The thing we need to know mostly about is the leakage of urine around the catheter. We've got those man underwear 'pants', which helps. Is this leakage a common occurence please? John's due to have the catheter out this week sometime. I know he would hate it if he had to have it in for a longer time. thanks for reading this (and my rant) Joan.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Husband has just had radical prostatectomy

I had a catheter in after a different surgery for 2 months.I also had leakage it was never explained to me why ,I was in a haze so did not chase the reason but it does happen,I hope all goes well with his recovery,sad that you had no follow up after surgery. kj
0 Kudos
Joan
New Contributor

Re: Husband has just had radical prostatectomy

thanks kj for your reply. It's some more support or confidence boost, that John's not alone with this hassle/problem and that we get there and thanks for your good wishes. Joan
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.