Lymphoma question

Andrea0613
New Contributor

Lymphoma question

I apologize if this is the wrong group to post this to but I'm new to the site and had difficulty finding where the best place to post this would be. 

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced what I have been for the past few months. About 6 months ago I developed a rash in both of my arms pits that was extremely itchy. I figured it was from sweating and the heat as it was in the summer and I was quite active. The rash went away after about a month after some hydrocortisone cream use every day, but the itch in my left armpit never really completely went away. It would come and go through out the past 6 months sometimes even getting a little bit swollen. Then  about 3 months ago my left arm started hurting. At first off and on but now it's constant. Dull aches and pains, but sometimes with a sharp stabbing pain, even when I'm just hanging out on the couch relaxing. I went to my general doctor last week and told him about all of this. He gave me a prescription cream for my arm pit itch which has now since gone away for now. He didn't seem to concerned about the arm pain and just said he'd follow up with me in 3 months to see how it was doing and at that time if was still hurting he might send me to physical therapy.  I have another appointment next week at a different office for a second opinion as there's no way I'm waiting 3 months to go back to a doctor that didn't really even address the issue in the first place. During the past few weeks I got on Google and entered my symptoms, which is not a wise idea...I know. Of course Lymphoma was one of the things that came up and now I'm worrying about it. I don't have any other symptoms that are listed for it but from what I read a lot of people don't. Just kind of looking for people's experiences with symptoms and if I should stop worrying. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Colin81
Contributor

Re: Lymphoma question

Hi Andrea0613,

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Dr Google is a problem but it's pretty much what most of us do, and then we worry about it, and worry about it.

I think you did the right thing in going for a second opinion, time can be critical IF there is an issue.

I myself had Non Hodgkin lymphoma (bowel, slight discharge of blood the only symptom) and as usual I was tested and you know the rest. Only worry (I know it sounds easy to say) when they give you a diagnosis (if there is an major issue) until then you are essentially okay but for your existing symptoms. I am sure (I am not a doctor) that there is a number of things that can provoke these symptoms, do the tests, listen to the medico's, if you are unhappy with them find another one.

Just a bit of advice, try to have someone go with you, another set of ears is essential as you may not take in all the Dr is saying. If you need it make a list of questions, do it, because we can get sidetracked very easily and forget to ask them all the things you wanted to know.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

debbiev
Contributor

thanks Colin I am glad you have answered Andrea, I too have had lymphoma but now in remission.  If you need any other advice I am here for you as well.  The points covered about having a support person is very important.  I do agree with you Andrea about getting a second opinion if you are not happy.   Yes with lymphoma you dont often get symptoms but please try not to worry.  

Andrea0613
New Contributor

Re: Lymphoma question follow up

Thank you for the insight. I had my second opinion appointment today and she took the time and effort to figure out what is going on for sure. As of now, she thinks it's actually a neck problem that is manifesting as the radiating, persistent pain. She doesn't think it's related to lymphoma or anything else on that regard.  She did order blood work just to make sure it is nothing else and will hear back about it in a week. Much more relieved at this point. 

Colin81
Contributor

Re: Lymphoma question follow up

Hi Andrea,

Yes I still worry about every little ache or pain even after all these years, I guess it is something many of us just have to live with. Very glad your GP is doing the blood work, it is amazing what they can 'see' with the appropriate tests.

Good luck with the results, take care, we are here you need us.

0 Kudos
Colin81
Contributor

Hi Debbiev,

I read Andrea's post and we all know how she is feeling, I had to reply.

Pleased to hear you are in remission, take care.

0 Kudos
debbiev
Contributor

Colin81

Thats fine with me that your answer questions about Lymphoma I am glad there is some else like me on this website.   Hope everything OK with you and your help generally.

0 Kudos
Iyana271
Contributor

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you've to go through this much pain and your doctor is not paying attention either. Btw It was a good decision to get the second opinion, I hope this will be nothing serious and your pain will go away with few medications. So don't worry and stay positive,

Best of luck with your upcoming appointment, take care!

0 Kudos
debbiev
Contributor

Iyana271

I think you may have got the post mixed up it is not me having the pain but Andrea0613.  You need to go into her post directly and comment to her.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.