Multiply myeoloma

babyboomer
Occasional Contributor

Multiply myeoloma

Hi. I am new to this and like to say HELLO to you all. My husband 63, was diagnosed with Multiply Myeoloma 2 and a half year ago. He underwent a bone marrow transplant and lots of chemo. He is an increadable positive man and has been cancer free for 2 years. Still gets very tired and has lots of nerve pains from medication. I am very proud of him. I like to have a chance to hear from other patients or carers regarding this cancer.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
scottinthegarde
Occasional Contributor

Re: Multiply myeoloma

Hi Babyboomer. I am also completely new to this. I am caring for my wife who is 39 and has just been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Started Chemo 3 days ago. Scared for what the future holds but seeing your post was uplifting for me. It reassures me there is hope. Like your husband, my wife has been incredibly positive so far. I cant express how proud of her I am. Big challenge for me at the moment is helping the children to understand what I'm not sure I understand. Hope all continues so well for you.
0 Kudos
scottinthegarde
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone. Im Scott. I am rapidly learning about Multiple Myeloma which my wife has been recently diagnosed with. Treatment has begun this week. I know we are in for a big journey. Its great to know how this is for other people and to not focus on the science alone.
0 Kudos
babyboomer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott. It sounds like you are coping well. That is very good for both of you and the children. I remember I was numb for a long time. I was not coping but during visit to RNS Hospital my husband was comforting ME.I knew I had to pull together. In my case it was also the breadwinner in the family. I still don't fully understand multiply myeoloma, but if staying positive, treat your body with healthy food and no stress, must help repairing cells. Stay strong and suportive it gets easier after time.Please stay in touch and let me know how things are. Barb.
0 Kudos
scottinthegarde
Occasional Contributor

Hi Barb. If you dont mind me asking, did your husband have a transplant of his own stem cells or from a donor. Also how long was the recovery process. We have been told 3 weeks in hospital then 3 to 6 months recovery. Does that sound plausible to you?
0 Kudos
babyboomer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott. I don't mind at all. That's why I'm here. Bowie used his own stem cells. If he needs to do it again they will use his sisters.Full recovery took almost a year,but he was late diagnosed and his kidneys had colapsed. I'll be honest with you and the dr's will say the same. It's not a pleasant thing to go through for you wife and for you to watch. You are both at an very early stage, later it gets easier when you gone through this B M T. At what stage was you wife when diagnosed? If you have any questions or want to share feelings feel free. I am sorry to hear that such young woman has this cancer. I thought it was mainly with older people. Barb 🙂
0 Kudos
scottinthegarde
Occasional Contributor

Hi Barb. The Doctors didnt want to discuss 'stages' with us as they said it was misleading. Lou has bone lesion in only one area, her pelvis but its a big area. No evidence anywhere else so they were originally hopeful that it was a plasmacytoma which could have been treated with radiation, but marrow sample showed it to be myeloma. No other apparent damage at this stage. They have the same treatment path as Bowie I guess ie own stem cell transplant then possibly donor marrow transplant in the future when it comes back. Your right to say she is young to have this. I hope that means a better prognosis but dont know really. Lucky Bowie has a compatible sister. Thats fantastic! I hope you and Bowie have a smooth run for as long as possible. Thinking of you. Scott
0 Kudos
babyboomer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott and Lou. Bowies cancer was in a advanced stage and is showing all over his his body.Because this cancer actually destroy bone mass(hope I explain this correct)the bone then passover to the kidney and in Bowies case it became a too big job and they collapsed. His kidneys are back to 100% now. It's just amazing what the Dr's can do these days, and what they don't know today might be available very soon. You sound calm and together,I'm sure you handle this in a very positive way and that will shine trough to your children and most of all Lou. I've spoken to other carers that have a loved one with cancer but not M M, we (the carers)all suffer silently and have to stay strong for our family and our loved one. It's hard and sometimes we are forgotten because the focus is on the patient but stay strong Scott. Look forward to hear from you soon. Barb. 🙂
0 Kudos
babyboomer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott and Lou. Bowies cancer was in a advanced stage and is showing all over his his body.Because this cancer actually destroy bone mass(hope I explain this correct)the bone then passover to the kidney and in Bowies case it became a too big job and they collapsed. His kidneys are back to 100% now. It's just amazing what the Dr's can do these days, and what they don't know today might be available very soon. You sound calm and together,I'm sure you handle this in a very positive way and that will shine trough to your children and most of all Lou. I've spoken to other carers that have a loved one with cancer but not M M, we (the carers)all suffer silently and have to stay strong for our family and our loved one. It's hard and sometimes we are forgotten because the focus is on the patient but stay strong Scott. Look forward to hear from you soon. Barb. 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.