Signs of Approaching Death

Jackie
Not applicable

Signs of Approaching Death

Hello to all. I am currently a full time caretaker for my mom who in November was diagnosed with extensive stage small cell lung cancer. Her cancer metasisized to her liver, lymph nodes and spine by the time it was discovered. She chose to immediately start chemo the day after diagnosis. She was able to handle two rounds before her body started rejecting the chemo. Also during this time she underwent 15 rounds of radiation to her spine to prevent possible paralyzation due to a lesion which was dangerously close to her spinal cord. By the mid December all treatment had stopped. Most recently, I moved my mom in with me. She is now under the care of Hospice which at times is great and other times not so much. The past week she has really started to decline. She seems to be hallucinating more and she has pretty much lost control of her bladder. She still takes two different water pills 2x a day. I feel so bad because she does not even realize she is having an accident. She is so apologetic after each accident. I am so afraid of her getting sores from being wet. My question...is the loss of bladder control and the increased hallucinations a sign that death is approaching?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Re: Signs of Approaching Death

Hi Jackie, We understand how important it is for you to supported at this time. The following information and links may be of assistance: www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/what-happens-final-days-life (Aust) www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/advanced-cancer/care-through-final-days (USA) Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.