Spindle cell melenoma

Mummabear1
New Contributor

Spindle cell melenoma

Hi everyone, 

I'm new here and don't really have a specific question, I just need to unload if you will. I had a shave biopsy on a blue naevus looking mole 2 weeks ago, 4 dermotopatholigists have looked at it and 2 favor a combined blue naevus and atypical spindle cell naevus, while the other 2 favor a spindle cell/blue naevus like melenoma. Given the discordance they have now sent it to the professor at prince Alfred hospital in Sydney for the final diagnosis. It's now the weekend and I'm so stressed not having the final diagnosis yet. I have the first lot of 'results' and am finding myself obsessing over them, googling what all the jibberish means and getting no where 😳 melan-a strongly positive, hmb45 weakly positive throughout and s100 positive throughout. Plump spindle cells. The lesion involves the deep edge. Etc etc! The waiting is so painful!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! Any advice on coping is more than welcome ❤️

5 REPLIES 5
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Spindle cell melenoma

Hi Mummabear1,

I'd consider Dr.Google to be somewhat of an Frenemy, it has so much useful information but....sometimes that information can incorrect or the prospect of it is plain scary. I would really avoid searching for documentation that doesn’t officially apply to yourself currently, especially if you’re just essentially stressing yourself out. (But if you must browse please only consider well developed and respected sites),

Waiting for results can be just painful sometimes; maybe a distraction or change of direction would be helpful?

Distraction:

- Continue on with everyday life or create an to-do-list
- Read novel or watch an movie
- Discover or carry on with hobbies
- Practice meditation
- Exercise
- Focus on work
- Arrange more time with family or friends
- Puzzles/Games

Change of course:

- Read other’s journeys and stories
- Research health and dietary needs (exercise or vitamins for example).
- Talk to your friends or family
- Offer advice to others or provide general support

Here are some sites that I think you might find helpful.

https://www.curetoday.com/community/mike-verano/2016/08/the-dos-and-donts-of-waiting-on-cancer-test-...- The Cancer Updates, Research and Education: Offering general advice regarding waiting.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/coping-with-anxiety-waiting-for-test-results-3955875 - Verywell Health: Coping with anxiety while waiting

Please do keep us inform about any future ongoings!

0 Kudos
Mummabear1
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply! I know Dr Google is no good and to take anything I read at this stage with a grain of salt, but I just can't help but Google 😔 I still have no news, hopefully tomorrow I will know something. The waiting is driving me crazy. Thank you for the suggestions x 

0 Kudos
Mummabear1
New Contributor

OK, the professor can't say with certainty what it is, he said it's a very unusual mix of a few different things! They are going to do a very wide and very deep Excision and also take a lymph node. At this stage they said they are going to treat it as the nastiest of all nasties to try and make sure I'm safe. 

iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

That's a fine and wise approach, sounds like they have the safety-net all planned out for you.

How are you feeling about this?

0 Kudos
Mummabear1
New Contributor

A little confused.. This is my first experience with anything like this so I don't know what to expect but obviously the surgeon will go over that with me at my appointment. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.