Supporting partner through scans and biopsy’s

AJP87

Supporting partner through scans and biopsy’s

Hi all,

so first of all this is very early days and in fact we are so early that we are still hopeful that the biopsy comes up with nothing sinister. The breast surgeon we consulted with after the mammogram was very confident that it’s not cancerous. 

Where we are at is that we are playing the waiting game and my partner is really struggling with the scare my process and going through the mammogram, and now the biopsy. I’m trying to stay as positive as I can for both of us but there are times that I think she feels I’m trying to minimise the pain and mental pain she’s going through. 

I was wondering if there was any advice from partners who have supported their spouses through these difficult procedures. I’m scared for her as well but I just want to be as supportive as possible. 

1 REPLY 1
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Supporting partner through scans and biopsy’s

Hello. I remember waiting for my diagnosis of a biopsy earlier this year. It was a time of huge anxiety and fear even tho I tried to just wait for the diagnosis I would just fall apart. My husband would just sit with me, lie with me or we would walk together. He just let me be real with my emotions and that was good because I couldn’t be positive a lot of the time. I hope and pray that the surgeon is right and there’s no cancer. 💕 Linda G 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.