Waiting for the prognosis on Husbands Bowel cancer

Sideshow63
Occasional Contributor

Waiting for the prognosis on Husbands Bowel cancer

Hi, I am new here and thought it was worth trying this out to meet others going through this.

My husband in his mid 50s has been diagnosed with rectal cancer, and after all the tests he is now waiting for the outcome on if it has  spread and the treatment plan- his appointment is this Thursday.

I am really worried, as the tumour is 7cm long and partially blocking his rectum. Its been there for ages quietly getting bigger apparently but he only recently told me how bad it had got. He was referred for a colonoscopy nearly 2 years ago but the paperwork never came, then Covid-19 happened, then procrastination set in etc etc.... and here we are.

I am finding it difficult to stay stoic, positive and strong enough at this point which I need to do to support him through this, do you have any tips?. Its also so hard to continue to work right now, my concentration is shot to pieces- did anyone else find this to be the case?.😔

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Jem80
Occasional Contributor

Re: Waiting for the prognosis on Husbands Bowel cancer

Hi,

When I first got the call from my brother about his diagnosis I couldn't concentrate either. It was such a shock. My concentration and ability to deal with it did improve after I talked to cancer nurses on the phone at the Cancer Council and had some telephone counselling from the Cancer Council. If you ring up the Cancer Council you can speak to Cancer nurses and ask any medical questions you have-they are really good. They will also be able to refer you to the telephone counselling service which operates from Queensland. You will get an appointment with a psychologist at a time that suits you. By memory I think you can get up to five appointments.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Sideshow63
Occasional Contributor

Re: Waiting for the prognosis on Husbands Bowel cancer

HI Jem80,

Thanks so much for your reply, and thanks for the advice re the cancer care nurses on the phone etc. I shall definitely look at doing that once we get through Thursdays appointment.

I am sure I will be trying to use every resource available.

I am glad I am not alone in finding my concentration sliding, I am hoping this may improve with some counselling and with time to process everything.

Take care.🌼

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.