Palliative care

vinouche
Contributor

Re: Palliative care

Unfortunately, most of my friends live in New Zealand, I have family that takes me to appointments, and I have now asked if they can spend some time with me outside hospital and treatment as my social network is very limited. The problem is they all have busy lives, and I find myself alone quite a bit. Sorry, feel a bit down today, am working on improving it. Thank you for advice and kind words.
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Yes it is hard. There isn't often any easy answers for any part of this journey including asking for support from others especially when they are overseas. Glad to hear that you have spoken up with family regarding the quality time thing!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable

hi Sylvie I'm new to the forum, but not new to your situation. You have had some good suggestions given to you and I hope mine might be of some help to you. I regularly participate in the NSWCC "Advanced Cancer" Telephone Support Group which I look forward to each fortnight for a sympathetic discussion with people with common interests. It is run by a number of professional facilitators from the NSW Cancer Council and they are marvelous. If you contact them on 0203441875, Gab or Sally, they will recommend the right group for you. I see they have a specific Lung Cancer group if you look on the website http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=237 where you can get more details. The other resource I use and recommend is my local Palliative Care Support Team which I am registered with. Mine is Victorian based, but I suppose each State has something similar. From them I get all the advice I need from their experienced Social Workers and nurses. They don't have the same time constraints that sometimes prevents us from getting our message across to our medical professionals, especially on quality of life issues. And it's wonderfully reassuring to have an after hours 1800 number to call when you get a problem that you need some advice and information on at night or weekends. I have had to use this a few times and on Monday morning you get a follow up call from the nurse you know to find out what went wrong and how you coped. Always look on the bright side. Don
0 Kudos
vinouche
Contributor

Thank you for that Don, I have recently been contacted by the Vic Palliative care in my area and they will be coming to see me soon.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.