All consuming grief.

honest_muzz
New Contributor

All consuming grief.

We lost our Mum to Cancer in July. To say the least it has been a long heartbreaking journey. I now need some help, my father has always been the strongest convicted man that you could meet. He has never had a problem making a decision or telling us what decision to make. He is now a former shadow of himself his decline has spread over many months and is now at a point of what feels like no return, suffering from panic attacks so debilitating its painful to watch - I have taken him to the doctor who prescribed antideppressants which he forgets or refuses to take, we have been to the psychologist/counsellor which he now refuses to go and see as he has developed a fear of leaving the house. His panic attacks last now for hours at a time with little gap or relief between and he has lost 17kg. When these attacks hit he loses clarity often becoming quite catatonic. I have organised for his doctor to do a house visit but he is now pleading with me to cancel it - Please if anyone can offer me the slightest of advice i would appreciate it beyond belief. As a family we have lost our mum and now Dad is fading away 😞 it has been like losing two parents in one cruel moment.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
nello
Contributor

Re: All consuming grief.

That sounds really full on. If your dad is refusing to accept help or see that he has a problem there isn't really much you can do except be there for him. Let him know you're not going anywhere! I used to work in mental health and I know that there a certain circumstances where patients can legally be hospitalised against their will. Obviously, you'd want to avoid that if possible. I suggest discussing your options with the dr. I hope things get better xx
0 Kudos
brhta
New Contributor

Re: All consuming grief.

Keep the dr comming. Don't leave him alone when the panic attacks start even if he pushes you away. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.