I've been reluctant to talk about me to anyone outside my family and remaining friends. The only down side has been that we all think a like, hence why I decided to venture outside my comfort circle.
I've been diagnosed with stage 1b adenocarcinoma of my cervix. Even though my cone biopsy howed clear margins of the adenocarcinoma being removed, my oncologist insists that the best option after clearance from my PET scan is to either:
A) lymph node dissection and removal of ovaries and tubes. Eggs will be frozen.
B) lymp node direction. Will need 6 monthly checks to ensure no spread of cancer to ovaries. Was told 1-5% chance of spread, and wouldnt suggest it if they didnt think it was a safe option.
I've seen an IVF specialist about egg freezing and IVF, but honestly it sounds like a lot of work. Its scaring me much more than the actual diagnosis of cancer. My head is telling me that option A sounds like the right path to choose, but I'm a planner. I've read the IVF clinics reading material on egg freezing, and spoken to an IVF nurse... it sounds costly and requires a lot of time and dedication. I've been told that they do this all the time, but no one has told me figures. I know I've got a condition that's affecting my fertility, and will most likely will be given exemption of the high costs. However no one is giving me answers. Like I said I'm a planner. If I cant afford to live life because it's all gone to egg freezing, how am I going to afford IVF when I decide to have kids? How am I going to afford to raise my kid or kids (if successful at all)?
On the other hand, option B, although a small chance, I'm still paranoid that by the time I decide to do egg freezing that it will be too late.
So the reason why I came on this forum to speak is just to see if anyone has my issue or somewhat similar. If you're happy to discuss the path chosen, please tell me. I'm so clouded by so many what ifs going through my mind and it honestly is giving me a headache.
I feel for you in this situation. I believe in Nature taking it's course, but I wonder if it is possible to hedge your bets: take & freeze eggs from one side, while continuing with option B?
Be part of this supportive community