Diagnosed with anal cancer...anyone out there?

Xena62
New Contributor

Diagnosed with anal cancer...anyone out there?

I have been newly diagnosed with anal cancer and am trying to educate myself on this disease. I am meeting my oncologist today so the ball will start rolling soon.

I would like to chat to any fellow sufferers about their experiences and how to get through this tough treatment regime. I am trying to find peer support within Australia.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Sheran
New Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with **bleep** cancer...anyone out there?

Hello Xena 62 my name is Sheran, I am a 2 years survivor of HER2+ breast cancer, bilateral mastectomy.
Good luck with your oncologist, take someone with you so they can help you hear what is said, take notes too, that way you can ask lots of questions later if needed.
What type of cancer do you have?
I am a peer support volunteer with cancer council and I also run a support group in my LGA
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with **bleep** cancer...anyone out there?

Hi Xena62,

I have terminal kidney cancer, diagnosed in Aug 2012, but still kicking.  It sounds like you have a bit of attitude 😉.  That's a great thing, make sure you keep it throughout your treatment.    

How did it go at your meeting with your oncologist?  What is your treatment plan?  I wish you all the best with whatever get's thrown your way.

Take care

Budgie

0 Kudos
Xena62
New Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with Anal cancer...anyone out there?

Hi Sheran,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me . I initiallly had trouble with this site due to the fact it bleeped out the word 'Anal', so I was unable to describe my tumour.

As you can see this has now been corrected.

My cancer is not a common one so I am trying to contact anyone who has had a similar experience.

I have googled a lot and made notes regarding questions I have on the subject. So far everyone I have met has been very supportive and informative. 

I go for the radiation therapy planning on monday and expect to get a Picc line in just after Christmas to start 6 weeks treatment in the New Year. It sounds a gruelling regime but there is a good chance or ridding me of this particular nasty. I guess only time will tell 🙂

0 Kudos
Xena62
New Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with Anal cancer...anyone out there?

Hi Budgie,

Ha Ha ...thanks for your reply. The 'bleep' was unintentional. It was a glitch in the software program which has now been  corrected. As you can now see I have Anal Cancer. It's considered to be at an early stage so I am hopeful of a good result. However the side effects both short and long term apparently are life changing. I guess I will see how I pull through and tackle it as it comes. My treatment involves no surgery but Chemoradiotherapy for 6 weeks.

Good to hear you are doing well and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Wishing you all the best and may your good health continue:)

0 Kudos
janisinc
Occasional Visitor

Re: Diagnosed with anal cancer...anyone out there?

Hi there, my diagnosis was confirmed yesterday, I am to have a CT scan on Monday to see if it has spread. The treatment suggested for me at this point is combined chemo and radiation and I have been told it is quite successful.. There are times when I cry and times when I feel okay. I do too much research, but need to feel some type of control. I am looking up recommended dietary changes as well as lifestyle ones. I try not to think about the worst case scenario, but is hard not to. I try to keep busy and distracted most of the time. I wish you all the best in what is a horrible journey.

Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with anal cancer...anyone out there?

Hi Janisinc,

My fingers are crossed for you that the scan results are good & it hasn't spread.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as too much research.  I think the more info you are armed with, the better!  It's good that you are looking at changing your lifestyle/diet.  It can only be for the better.

Best of luck with everything.

Budgie

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.