Grappling with reality

mensana
Contributor

Re: Grappling with reality

@Budgie, thanks for that. The problem is though, if I stop doing all these things then I'll start to think. I'm a bit scared of starting to think. But it's amazing what can be done under pressure. I have a natural lazy streak but under pressure manage to get a lot done. Today I finished and signed off on my Advanced Personal Plan. Had to scan it all and send off copies to the Public Trustee and Public Guardian. Had tradies and others come by to sort things out in advance. Had some excavating and earthmoving done. Running around buying items for the property. Then there were bills needing paying in advance. Lots of other bits and pieces. Probably going to need more recuperating from all this than from the surgery, LOL.

Being honest though, I am scared of all that time on the plane, the day settling in, and the time up to the operation, not to mention the nights in between. I don't think very well and need something to block it off. But  I try to keep in mind that I'm more than just this cancer, I'm all these other things as well that keep me moving.

Budgie
Super Contributor

I hope you had a good flight down to Adelaide.  

Good luck for tomorrow @mensana .  I'll be thinking of you & hope it all goes smoothly. 

When you're lying in your bed, after the op, use your imagination & picture your body healing itself.   I know it sounds a bit crazy, but it actually does work, & hey, what do you have to loose?    Back in 2015, I had blood poisoning from gall stones that were stuck in my bile duct.  I  had my gall bladder & offending stones removed, but after the op I was still quite ill.  I was lying awake in my hospital bed in the middle of the night when I started using my imagination to picture my antibodies fighting off the infection.  After a couple of times doing this it was like a switch was flipped - I felt the moment when my body started to beat the infection & I knew I was going to get better then.  I know it sounds stupid, but it does work.  Your mind is a very powerful thing.  Don't doubt it.

All the very best.  

mensana
Contributor

@Budgie thanks. I agree with you about the healing power of positive thought.

The surgeon has only just left, after a little "chat". He had gone through the whole procedure of three possible scenarios. One, that they go in and find they can't do anything. Two, that they have to take out the complete lung. And three, that they just remove the lower lobe of one lung. That's not to mention all the other issues that might crop up out of the blue and put a spanner in the works. Likely I'll be in ICU for a few unpleasant days.

Apart from the cough, I feel very fit and healthy. Had four hours to fill in before admission today so asked where the nearest shopping complex was. Wanted to get a feed and a haircut. The hospital staff suggested a taxi ride to Westfield at Marion but I walked there instead. Wandered around, did everything, then wandered back. Guess I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm still okay.

Got an xray and CT scan this afternoon, along with copious quantities of blood and some urine taken. Tomorrow they check things with video cameras inside and then proceed with keyhole surgery. Trying to keep positive but it's a bit of a battle. Because the whole thing was bungled by that first GP it's allowed the cancer to spread and make removal much more difficult. So the surgeons will have their work cut out for them.

There's a white board in the room with numbers, my name, and names of nurse and doctor. Below that is a section labelled "Discharge Goal". I asked the nurse to write in "Live happily ever after", and she did.

Dee58
Contributor

@mensana brilliant discharge goal! love it! 🙂
mensana
Contributor

@Dee58 I was going to write it in myself but thought they might not like me interfering with their equipment. So I'm happy the nurse was cooperatuve. One very bright side to this rather un-bright situation is that removal of the lower lobe of the lung should leave me at the same level of fitness I currently have. The surgeon said I'm already operating without it as it's completely blocked off and collapsed. My body is coping without it and maintaining a very good level of fitness. And keyhole surgery is less invasive and allows for quicker recovery. What's there not to be positive about?

After dinner last night I had a lot more than just food to "digest". But afterwards there doesn't seem to be any "indigestion". 😎

mensana
Contributor

Well as it turns out "indigestion" struck delayed and in a bad way. The surgeon came by while I was a bit spaced out and said they went in, looked around and decided they couldn't do anything. It's too advanced. the only option now is chemo.

Budgie
Super Contributor

Oh gosh, I'm really sorry.   Hopefully then, the chemo will do some good.   

It makes me so angry that the GP who kept telling you there was nothing wrong, is still practising!  There are too many doctors out there that just don't listen to the patients.   I'm sorry for my rant - I wish the outcome was better for you.

Dee58
Contributor

@mensana Wow... that sucks. Sorry to hear this. But its not over until the fat lady sings... so sending positive vibes your way x
mensana
Contributor

Thanks @Budgie and @Dee58.
I'm a bit lost for words now. Had another short talk with the surgeon today. Didn't help much. I just need time to adjust. But I'm eating well and sleeping a bit better. Maybe because I'm all drugged up.

Budgie
Super Contributor

Eating well in a hospital?  Did you smuggle your own food in with you?  😉

The general anaesthetic will keep you drowsy for a day or two, so I m glad you're sleeping well.   Be kind to yourself @mensana , & take each day as it comes.

Cheers

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.