Hi all recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer

chrissy_231
New Contributor

Hi all recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer

Hi everyone, my name is Christina just found out three days ago I have Cervical Cancer. Im finding it difficult being away from all my family as Im a Defence Force member, I am in a different state. Still in a state of shock but I am very positive
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
CJF
Contributor

Re: Hi all recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer

Hi Christina, The first days after diagnosis are mind numbing. There are so many unknowns. Once you have a plan things do become a little more manageable. I didn't have cervical cancer so I can't help you there, but there are lots of lovely people on this site who will chat to you and share their experiences. Not having your family around you is very hard. I imagine the Defence Force has counsellors and of course the Cancer Council is a fantastic support. Don't be afraid to ring them; I did many times in those early days - mainly just to voice my fears but also to clarify information. I found their support invaluable. Thinking of you CJF
0 Kudos
SamR
Occasional Contributor

Hi Christina, CJF is right, the next few weeks and months even will be really different, after all your world has just been turned upside down. Once the extent of the cancer is quantified and the treatment options, presented then it starts to settle down a little, because suddenly we are back in some sort of control of life. I had Endo cancer 9 1/2 yrs ago... I also was miles away from any family who could really help, but somehow you learn to cope with the resources available, you will amaze yourself at your inner strength, but make sure you rest when you can and most of all be kind to yourself. Everyone has a different experience of cancer and treatment, but we nearly all say our attitude to life changes, it highlights the really important things in life. Go well and if you need to "talk", we're here to listen. Rgds, Sam
0 Kudos
chrissy_231
New Contributor

Thanks guys, Im not sure whats going on with me maybe still in shock but have surprised myself how strong and positive I have been. My family are probably the ones that are struggling the most as they can not see me. Im having a lot of trouble sleeping but have never been a good sleeper anyway. Have got a fare bit of support from defence force but its not the same as friends and family but Im well aware its more than some people have. I just got the cervical cancer ribbon tattood on my foot, its what I see when I look down and its on my foot because Im going to kick the bloody thing 🙂
0 Kudos
uneek
New Contributor

Hi Christina...I also have cervical cancer, stage 4. Keep the attitude you have...it's great & will go a long way in getting you through your fight. Wish I could have got a tattoo relating to this before I started treatment. I will definitely be getting one as soon as I am allowed (not allowed now due to the risk of infection from treatment and my immune system being weak). Feel free to message me if you'd like. 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.