Hi everyone I'm new I was diagnosed with rectal cancer

shirleymc
Not applicable

Hi everyone I'm new I was diagnosed with rectal cancer

Hi I'm 51 and I was diagnosed this year on the 4/4 with rectal cancer and from that moment my world had changed. I have a son 29yrs and a daughter 25yrs old, my daughter lives not far from me and my son lives interstate I miss him heaps. We visit each other through out the year. Even though I have very supportive friends and family, I do feel very alone and I would love to meet and make friends that some how cancer has entered into their life. I'm having my operation on the 5/9/11 and I'm very scared.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
pimbok
Contributor

Re: Hi everyone I'm new I was diagnosed with rectal cancer

Hi Shirley, I don't know anything about rectal cancer but I do understand how your world can change as soon as you're diagnosed with cancer. I'm 52 with a 28 year old son and even though my family and friends have been supportive, I've found it very hard, scary and often lonely as well. I think for me, one of the hardest things has been the waiting - waiting for the op, waiting for the radiation to start (and finish) etc etc The people on this site I have dealt with have been wonderful and very supportive. I'm really glad you've joined. Good luck tomorrow - will be thinking of you. Let us know how you're getting on when you're ready and can. Take care and be gentle with yourself. Kim
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Shirleymc We all deal with different issues once you have cancer ,this site gives you a place to go for different reasons there is usually some one going through the same or similar to yourself.Best wishes for Tomorrow hope everything goes well kj
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

All the best for tomorrow .Get back to here as soon as you are able. We will be waiting to hear from you .
0 Kudos
Stace
Contributor

I hope the operation went well and you are recovering ok, it takes time, i had the same operation back in october last year. Do you have to have any followup treatment after the operation?
0 Kudos
etacarinae
Occasional Contributor

Hey Shirley Hope all went well for you with your surgery. I had my op for rectal cancer last year. How are you doing now it's over? Cheers Eta
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.