Hi, my name is Judy. I have recently been diagnosed with Renal Cell Carcinoma

dolly5550
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi, my name is Judy. I have recently been diagnosed with ...

Hi Jenny Just wondering how you are going as I havent heard from you for a while. I have just learnt that one of my close friends from work has just been diagnosed with kidney cancer. Sadly it has already spread to her bones.It never seems to end does it. Judy
0 Kudos
Jenny_Williams
Occasional Contributor

Hi Judy, I have just returned from 4 days in Mildura so just read your message tonight. I am very sorry to hear about your friend with kidney cancer that has gone to her bones. There is alway someone worse off than we are. Is hers TCC too. I had a Palliative care Nurse visit me this week and I felt very strange about it, almost indignant because I think Palliative care is for people who are dying, but then I realized that my odds are only about 30% of survival over 5 years and I realized that maybe it was appropriate after all. I begin my second round of chemo on thursday, Cisplatin this time so expect to be out of it for four or five days again. The gemcitibane never effected me at all apart from giving me a voracious appetite. At this rate I will weigh a ton. Has your cough and cold cleared up yet? I hope so. Well I must go and get some beauty sleep. Keep well best wishes ..... Jenny
0 Kudos
Jenny_Williams
Occasional Contributor

Hi Judy, I have just returned from 4 days in Mildura so just read your message tonight. I am very sorry to hear about your friend with kidney cancer that has gone to her bones. There is alway someone worse off than we are. Is hers TCC too. I had a Palliative care Nurse visit me this week and I felt very strange about it, almost indignant because I think Palliative care is for people who are dying, but then I realized that my odds are only about 30% of survival over 5 years and I realized that maybe it was appropriate after all. I begin my second round of chemo on thursday, Cisplatin this time so expect to be out of it for four or five days again. The gemcitibane never effected me at all apart from giving me a voracious appetite. At this rate I will weigh a ton. Has your cough and cold cleared up yet? I hope so. Well I must go and get some beauty sleep. Keep well best wishes ..... Jenny
0 Kudos
dolly5550
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jenny, It was good to hear from you.It is great that you are able to get away for awhile and hopefully enjoy yourself before having to come back to the grind of chemo.What is your chemo regime?I would have Cisplatin and Gemcitabine one week followed by Gemcitabine only the following week.Then I had a break for a week before it all started over again. The Cisplatin was a real pain as it takes so long to give,so I was happy when they changed me to Carboplatin which is given over an hour. I would not be too concerned about being seen by the Palliative care nurse. They do not only offer services to the dying but try and improve quality of life in those who are undergoing chemo etc.I always remember my Oncologist saying that I was not curable but treatable.so that was some small comfort.I was initially told that I had two years,but that was before chemo so hopefully that time limit might be extended. The trouble is you dont know when this thing will come back again.My cough is still hanging around which is a bit of a worry. I am due to see my Doctor in a few weeks so I will discuss it then. My friend had her kidney removed today. I dont know if it is RCC or TCC but will find out soon I guess.I think she will have to have chemo and radiation for the mets in her bones.Anyway she has a long journey ahead of her.I dont think the whole thing has registered with her as she said she wants to be back at work in six weeks. Anyway bye for now will talk again soon Judy
0 Kudos
Jenny_Williams
Occasional Contributor

Hi Judy, Good to hear from you again. My chemo regime sounds much the same as yours was. I was unable to have the scheduled Cisplatin this week because my kidney function was not up to scratch, so I only had gemcitabine, which doesn't effect me too much. The chemo Nurse said we will try the Cisplatin again next cycle if my kidney has recovered enough, however I am feeling unsure about that as I really do not want to risk my only kidney. Maybe another chemo can be used. I intend to discuss it with them on my next day on thursday. I am finding being isolated from social activities a bit trying, but I know it is too risky to catch a cold with my blood levels so low. Apart from a lot of sleeping I am doing patchwork and sewing and some very slow housework. Being so weak is a drag as I have always been very active with sport and other activities. However, I guess all this is in a good cause(I hope). I hope your friend is recovering well from her op. Yes, she is being very hopeful, saying she will be back at work in 6 weeks. I said that about Bowls, and now I realize it could be a year or more. I hope your cough is clearing up. It is a hard time of year to get rid of colds. I don't know where you live, but here in Victoria it is very cold and foggy. I try to walk the dog every day but today is pea soup fog so cannot risk it. We hope to have another few days away in our caravan after my next chemo. Look after yourself Your friend Jenny
0 Kudos
Jenny_Williams
Occasional Contributor

Hi Judy, Sorry about the long silence. I have been very unwell and just unable to focus on the computer. You are correct about the Cisplatin. It is horrible stuff!!! The last round made me very ill and before I could get over that, I had more Gemcitibane which knocked me again. I have a CT Scan this coming week and then a review with my Oncologist so really hope I can have a break from the chemo. It takes everything away from you and you begin to wonder if it is worth it. I hope your cough has cleared up by now, and that you are keeping well. I remember you said that you had to see your Oncolgist again so hope that went well. How is your friend from work who had her kidney removed? She has a long road ahead too. I have been 6 months now since it all began and it seems much longer. You must be over 12 months now. We had a short trip away in our caravan. I seemed to sleep most of the time, but it was a change of scenery anyway and good for my husband to get away from housework too. Our weather has been woeful for weeks, but a bit of sun is showing through today. It makes things look better. I too, have been suffering a bit of depression. I think the effects of the chemo and drugs causes it. It is hard to be cheerful when you feel like a zombie Hope to hear from you soon. Your friend Jenny
0 Kudos
Jenny_Williams
Occasional Contributor

Hi Judy, I hope you are OK as I have not heard from you for a good while now. I have had trouble accessing this page , but have managed to find it tonight. There is no record of my last few messages on it so I don't think you would have received them I replied to your comment about people thinking you are fine because you are back at work. I think you are amazing to be at work at all. I just deon't have much energy anymore. I think it is a by product of the chemo. I have to go into hospital for exploratory in my bladder. Life is an endless round of scans and hospital visits isnt it? I hope you are well and it isnt all getting on top of you. I think of you often and wish you all the best coping with work Hope to hear from you soon Jenny
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.