International nursing student cancer battle

Sumit
New Contributor

International nursing student cancer battle

Hi all,

I am international nursing student(final year). I was diagnosed with with kidney cancer on September 2019 at age of 26yrs old.

And I underwent for Robotic assisted partial kidney removal. Later biopsy and Genetic test confirmed that my cancer is rare genetics cancer which is Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell carcinoma (HLRCC).

On February 2020, during follow up Ct scan and pet scan revealed that cancer was not only reappeared on same kidney  but also spread on other areas to. I underwent for another major open surgery for kidney removal and 16 cancer node removal, which take 2 months to recover.

last week, I had to go for 3rd surgery because during follow up pet scan 6 cancer node has been confirmed. My surgeon removed 2node only and planned to go for trial medicine. As being Rarest cancer patient there is not enough information is available .

My health condition has reversed and totally stopped my life. I am not being able to work since 6 months and continue my study.

Each time I have to pay for my CT  and pet scan. During every surgery, it cost me out of pocket. 

As not being permanent resident, I am not entitled for any support schemes.

I am having heaps of issues but i still have hope and I am trying to fight my battle. Anyone have similar cancer? Can we share our story to build confidence of each other.

3 REPLIES 3
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Re: International nursing student cancer battle

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, how are you now???

Sumit
New Contributor

Hi Iloveyoudearly7,
Thank you for asking, I am awaiting for immuno therapy plan which is to prolong my life and slow spreading, my treating doctor is trying to contact my health insurance company to check either they cover treatment cost or not.
The cost of planned treatment is really huge, which is way out of my ability.
0 Kudos
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Hi Sumit,

I am so happy to hear from you! Maybe I recommend some options, just in case? have You tried exploring your options with the cancer council ph: 13 11 20 or with centre link?? For financial proposes or recommendations yet?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.