Just diagnosed with appendix cancer

Kathrynb
Occasional Contributor

Re: Just diagnosed with appendix cancer

I’m still in Sydney as we were told to stay for a few weeks after surgery, as a lot of complications can arise from this surgery and we wanted to make sure we were close by if they did. Once back in Melb, I’ll begin chemotherapy and will have my scans and blood tests reviewed by Professor Morris. The only costs associated with seeing him are the consultation costs (I think about $100) but the surgery was covered by Medicare. We were so well taken care of by him and his team - they are amazing.

If you join those Facebook groups and search my first name you should be able to find me and add me on Facebook 🙂

0 Kudos
Melanie90
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kat

More questions coming your way lol

i have been referred to see Dr Asnari at RPA I was hoping to see Prof Morris after all the wonderful things I’ve read about him but at the moment it seems I don’t have time to wait for a second opinion need to start treatment asap. I’m going in for another laparoscopy tomorrow also a colonoscopy and endoscopy as I have quite a few tumors in my bowel and she wants to see how much of the bowel is cancerous and if there is cancer in any other part of GI track to see if I can go straight for the big surgery and HIPEC or if I need to have chemotherapy first. Did you need to have part of your bowel removed? If so do you have a bag? How did you cope with your diagnosis? I was in limbo for a few weeks I knew it was coming but when she “officially” told me yesterday and I had to break it to my family was so hard, my head is a mess.

0 Kudos
KaceJax
Contributor

Hi

Hope you are doing good. How did your family take it? Be strong and believe that everything will be okay. 

0 Kudos
3rdtimelucky
Frequent Visitor

Hi, how are you now? What was your treatment like?

I was diagnosed last week with appendix cancer.  I’m waiting to have my appendix removed in another 2 weeks. Everyone says “you’ll be fine!” But that doesn’t help, when all you want is a big hug and some understanding .

0 Kudos
Kathrynb
Occasional Contributor

I’m so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I know what a scary time it is, but there’s so much support out there. I highly recommend joining the following Facebook groups where you can read stories of fellow appendix cancer patients and ask questions to help you understand the journey ahead:

- PMP Appendix Cancer Support Group (worldwide)

- Australia & New Zealand PMP cancer patients

I’m doing ok. I’ve had 2 major surgeries and it’s looking like I may have another in the near future. Treatment for this cancer can be difficult but of course is dependent on each patients case. 

0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

I dont have experience with your exact class of cancer, but I can speak to managing the terror.

In the immediate short-term you need to compartmentalise.

(My advice anyhow)

Don't let the mortality stuff, the I'm scared stuff, get too much bandwidth, you can't control what you can't control and the absolute key now is getting through the process.

You have to surrender to that, lean into whatever aggressive treatment is available, and roll your dice.

To manage your daily living, compliance with your treatments, medicine, whatnot - the better you are at doing that 'knuckle down and get through' thing, the better.  You need to get further down the road.  You can deal with the existential stuff later.

That to be said - don't ignore it.  If they say there's only a 30% chance of treatment, then you spend time with the people you love, you write up a will, do all the practical stuff you need to do ... but the UNKNOWN is the worst part of the early phase of dealing with cancer, and my advice is to tackle that head on, and the way to do that is accept it .. you dont know, can't know and just have to push through until you do.

As to wider stuff ..

I had a six months to live 40% chance at treatment, and that was six years ago.  After cancer, I slipped into an existential hole, then I dressed up as the boofhead superhero Captain Australia and walked from Brisbane to Melbourne, raising $165,000 for paediatric cancer research.

It's not over.  You still have some time up your sleeve, and maybe more than you think.

You can still do beautiful things, celebrate kindness, make laughter.  You just have to get through the tunnel.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.