Kidney cancer matastersized in the lung after 7 years

Riccardo68
New Contributor

Kidney cancer matastersized in the lung after 7 years

Recently I have been diagnosed with cancer in the right lung which has matastersized from the left kidney which was removed in 2011. In the near future I return to Canberra hospital to have scans ultrasounds and blood tests

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Kidney cancer matastersized in the lung after 7 years

Hi Riccardo68,

Welcome to the community - a pity that it isn't under better conditions.

What a bu99er. Is 7 years a long time before a metastasis shows up? I have no idea because I got my first diagnosis at Easter 2017 and had total gastrectomy surgery August 2017. I am hoping that I get to retire (about 5 years?) before I have to deal with any more treatment.

It just goes to show that we all need to be vigalent in following through with check-ups and scans to make sure that we keep on top of those sneeky little blighters. Catch them early before they gang up and make a bigger fight of it than it needs to be.

I don't want to raise any false hope for anyone, but I have a friend who had been in remission from breast cancer and then she got news of lesions all through her lungs. Seems that the diagnosis was actually wrong (I don't know if they got her scans mixed up with someone elses or what whent down). At least with regular screening it was investigated very promtly.

If you want to have a "chat" anytime, just send me a private message.

Best of luck,

Rick

0 Kudos
Riccardo68
New Contributor

Re: Kidney cancer matastersized in the lung after 7 years

Good Morning Rick,

Thank you for your response, It is rather frightening considering I was told when they removed the kidney in 2011 that they had it all and that it has been 7 years following. When I mentioned this to the Thoracic Surgeon who replied one is never clear its a matter of continuous scheduling monitoring following surgery. They have now brought my P.S.A. checks forward to 3 monthly instead of the 12 monthly checks. All we can do is monitor the situations my advice to all.

Regards,

Riccardo 68

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.