New kid on the block!

hooley_dooley
Not applicable

New kid on the block!

Hi Everyone! I have visited this site many times and now I have finally joined. I'm a recently diagnosed stage 4 lung cancer (with metastasies spelling?) Never really liked that word! (plurus, right adrenal gland,lymph nodes and possibly right ovary) I went to my G.P with what I thought was a pulled muscle in my back, turned out to be a tumour pressing on my spine in my right lung - slight shock would be the understatement of the decade. Yes I am an ex smoker (and used to smoke a bit of pot) in case you are wondering. I dont come down to heavy on myself for being a smoker- I cant change what I did and have decided to save my fight for the cancer. I have recently finished 3.5 weeks of daily radiology and have had 4 cycles of chemo with another 4-6 to come, pending scan outcomes. My last scan had shown a good reduction of primary tumor which was a great xmas present, I am also aware that it is very early days. I have been having all my treatment at the RNSH in Sydney. I have a very active 4 year old son called Charlie who is my main reason for slaying this beast. I am determined to see him as a man and will not accept anytghing else. I have decided to fight this beast with a positive attitude and some dark humour ( some people find this uncomfortable but I figure that is their problem not mine!) Some days I am so strong and others I am so ,so, so scared but I suspect this is all part of accepting the hand I have been dealt. I have been having a bit of trouble with my white cells with the chemo- they have been too low for treatment the last few weeks ( handy with christmas) My haemaglobins this week have also been very low so ended up having a transfusion @ 8am on New Years Day! I think a few years ago I would have been getting home at 8AM LOL! Thankyou for reading my lil story- it felt good writing it I look forward to chatting to you Jules
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Zen-moment
Occasional Contributor

Re: New kid on the block!

Hi Jules Thank you for sharing your story - how true is that statement about some days being strong, and some days being scared as hell! I remember people telling me how brave they thought I was, and all I could think was - I haven't any choice, it's not bravery, it's about being a mother and knowing I have to be there for my kids. I was diagnosed with breast cancer when my eldest was 9 - I just celebrated his 12th birthday with him on the 1st Jan, and while everyone was singing and making merry, I was saying a silent thank you for just being there...nothing like cancer to make one realise what's really important in life! All the best Jules - will be thinking of you as you tackle the treatment, take care and wishing you lots of strength! Zen 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: New kid on the block!

Hi Jules, Yes a positive attitude is a definite start on this site,lol. great to hear about the dark humour, I assume that is where you sit in the dark and start cracking jokes to your friends ( my humour is unfunny and sometimes sick), but that is the way I have always been before and after my treatment. Hope we all get to hear some of your unique humour soon. you are also battling the beast for yourself as well as your son. Cheers Dave
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.