Newly Diagnosed

Not applicable

Newly Diagnosed

I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and was advised to come on here to talk to other people going through the same thing and get some general support. Would love to chat to anyone going through the same thing Briony
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
skinheadgirl2b
Not applicable

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hi Briony, I was advised to join this too when I was diagnosed with breast cancer on July 8th. This will be my first post. After the diagnosis with my breast surgeon, I have met with my oncologist and have now had 2 rounds of chemotherapy. The second was Monday just gone. I have another 2 to go of this FEC treatment, followed by 4 of a different chemo drug, then surgery and radiotherapy. It feels like a long way to go and time seems to be going both quickly and slowly. I've had bad days, yesterday was one of my worst yet actually, but today is much better. It's a rollercoaster for sure but it seems to be doable. I hope I haven't upset you with anything I've said. I'd love to chat anytime if you need. I'm still very much out here on my own as far as knowing people in similar situations goes. Katherine, 29
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

hi briony, i dont have cancer but my bf does.. it kinda feels as if i have it to though.. do u knw what stage of breast cancer you have? days will be tough and u'l have your moments where u think u wont be able to go on...but you will. I can say we have more good days than bad.. u just have to be posative and never give up on hope.. look up stories on the internet about how people have survived this, it helps trust me. Always think of the best that can happen... good luck xo
0 Kudos
ellie
New Contributor

Hi Briony, I am also newly diagnosed and am due to have surgery within the next 2 weeks. Have to decide whether lumpectomy or mastectomy. As there are multiple sites, am considering the latter, but am scared stiff. How do women make that decision??
0 Kudos
sunflower
Occasional Contributor

HI I am newly diagnosed too, but noticed it is now 9 months after your intial comment. hope is all going well for you. i am just about to start on my journey with a masectomy in two days. I am more worried about getting back my life after. i still don't know what sort of other treatment i need.
0 Kudos
ellie
New Contributor

Hi Sunflower I had a mastectomy February 9th and fortunately need no further treatment as the sentinel node biopsy showed the cancer had not spread from the breast. So that is really good news. I am getting used to the "new look me " and my husband is really a great support, which helps. Had a fitting for my prosthesis Tuesday, a lovely lady who came to our home and made the whole process so easy. As I was diagnosed 18th January, everything seemed to happen very fast, which in one sense was really good. However even that seemed to be too long a period to wait between diagnosis and treatment at some times. The waiting was just the hardest thing for me, very little sleep. The morning of the op I was calm and collected, and by that stage couldn't wait to have it over with. The McGrath nurse has been invaluable throughout, and the surgeon and my own GP great. All of this helps. My healing after the op has been good, and am ready to wear the prosthesis. Not that I am ashamed of how I look, just is nice to look "normal "when away from home. Hope all goes well with you,and that if any extra treatment is needed you sail through it. Will be thinking of you - Ellie
0 Kudos
sunflower
Occasional Contributor

thankyou so muh for your lovely thoughts. I was really agonising over the lymph nodes injection today - but all the replies i got helped me through the day. I am really grateful for the valuable information you have supplied re healing and prosthesis. I am looking forward to having a day that i don't think of breast cancer.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.