Newly diagnosed and nervous..

Alli71
New Contributor

Newly diagnosed and nervous..

Hi, my name is Allison and I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in November. This was not part of my plan and came as a huge shock as I'm 41 with no family history..I begin combined chemo via picc and radiation in a couple of weeks and am both terrified and keen to get treatment started. After reading so many posts from people who are both courageous and truly empathetic,I say Thankyou-for your words and encouragement to others going through similar situations have been a huge relief to me. I don't feel so alone knowing there are other people on a very similar journey. Xxx
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Melanie
Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed and nervous..

I'm so sorry you've had to come here- cancer is a bitch! Best thing I can suggest is to live each day as it happens, don't look to the future too much and try to not to think about the negative stuff. When cancer comes into your life it's a huge wake up call- you realise all of a sudden you had no control over your life. Great big hugs, I hope the chemo & rad is kind to you.
0 Kudos
Alli71
New Contributor

Thanks Melanie, That's good advice-I'm doing just that,taking each day as it comes. My heart goes out to you and your family, you sound so courageous and strong- I'm sending love and hugs to you all. Allison
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Good luck Allison. You don't mention what stage or even if you have gotten that far yet. Hope it is early stage and can be cleared up with surgery and rad. I was colo-rectal,they clump us all in togeather. I was dxed in 1998 w/stage3c (dukes c) into 6 nodes. Had surgery and a year of chemo. Bee ca free since,Hugs Ron.
0 Kudos
richard61
Occasional Contributor

Dear Allision; Do not worries ! I have 3 years now. You will be ok. Not that bad. When I first got stage 3 colon cancer, I am nervious too. but now i am ok. Regards Richard
0 Kudos
richard61
Occasional Contributor

Dear Allision; Do not worries ! I have 3 years now. You will be ok. Not that bad. When I first got stage 3 colon cancer, I am nervious too. but now i am ok. Regards Richard
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.