Pancreas, liver and spine cancer.

fungry_04
New Contributor

Pancreas, liver and spine cancer.

Hi everyone, I hate posting this but I really need some advice/support.

Yesterday my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. We don't know what type it is yet, or how aggressive it is but the doctor said it was on the end of his pancreas, his liver and possibly 1 spinal vertebrae. We are due to see the oncologist Monday afternoon at 4.30 to find out all the details. I'm so worried and stressed for him, he has 3 young girls (7,5,3) that he absolutely adores and of course he is the air that I breathe. He's only 31 and has no family history of cancer, it's absolutely 100% not fair. 

I don't know how we will cope with all this I suppose one day at a time is all we can do. I feel so numb, I don't think it's sunk in yet for my husband. I am praying he will survive.

4 REPLIES 4
Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Re: Pancreas, liver and spine cancer.

That's really tough news.  I think you will know much more after Monday.  Research everything you can right now.  Knowledge is power.  See what your options are and ask lots of questions.

I'm really sorry you're going through this with your husband and it's probably going to be a hard journey but just know that there is so much support, research and help that you will be able to get through it.  It also helps to talk about it so please keep us updated and good luck.  (I don't know what else to say.  Good luck?  Maybe - wishing you every success would be better).

fungry_04
New Contributor

Thank you Lampwork, good luck is fine 🙂

Its alot of information to take in, I've been googling and somewhat holding off at the same time incase I read something I don't want to! I'm trying to find more support groups online as well, im sure there's heaps but do you think I can find them! 

Monday can't come auick enough 😔

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi.

I went through a similar situation. Diagnosis on Friday, then a whole weekend to digest it. The good news is your Oncologist appointment is soon. I waited almost 2 weeks for the surgeon and 3 for the Oncologist . Under the circumstances, I don't think it impacted the cancer or my treatment,  but the painful wait and all the questions I asked myself. Good or bad, I like to have a plan, but without details, I was stuck, scared and angry.

I went to Dr Google a lot. I was advised not to. Only go to the cancer council site, which is how I found this forum. However, without enough details there, Dr Google was able to help a little by making me aware of other people 's situations. However, take it with a grain of salt. You need real answers from your doctor's and your particular situation. Try not to get hung up on what you find online. You and the hubby will have to write your own story.

With that said, I think this site is gold. I hope it helps you.

Cheers

Phil

sch
Super Contributor

Hi fungry_04,

It can be hard to take in and take some time to adjust to the new reality that you and your husband have just been told about.

For me, the reality of the situation really started to sink in after the surgery had been booked in and waiting for the surgery date. That can be a little difficult.

Are you going to discuss with your girls?

The whole thing is hard and it sucks.  I've always done my best to remind myself that the numbers and statistics are just that.

-s

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.