Pregnant with cancer

HeidiM
New Contributor

Pregnant with cancer

Hi there, Last week on my 37th birthday I was diagnosed with invasive moderately differentiated squamous cell cancer of the vulva....I'm 12 weeks pregnant. It's so hard to find any information relating to cancer in pregnancy that applies to me. It's all about breast cancer. Apparently having Vulvar cancer is uncommon, and to be my age with it is rare...to be pregnant at the same time is even more rare....no wonder I can't find much. If I hadn't been pregnant I would have never known I had cancer. This baby has saved my life (I hope). I have to wait a month for surgery, so the baby won't be at risk from the general anaesthesia. From what I have been briefly told so far I will have to have a large section of my genitals removed and the lymph nodes. If I need radiation, Baby will be delivered at 28 weeks. We haven't told our other children.... I have no idea what to expect, but I fear this will be emotionally the hardest year of my life....just being away from my kids is going to break my heart. Thanks for reading
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
nessk
Occasional Contributor

Re: Pregnant with cancer

Hi Heidi, I hope you can find someone that is or has been in the same position as you find yourself now. Just so you have someone to talk to that may be able to answer your questions. I'm going through treatment for breast cancer at the moment. But I wish you all the best. I have 2 young kids and am finding it hard not being there for them and missing being their happy mummy, so I understand completely in that sense. Kind Regards Ness
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

There is a group on here that may be some help to you as well. Just go into the groups tab at the top of the page and look for Gynaecological cancer then just send a request to join.
0 Kudos
HeidiM
New Contributor

Thank you Ness, I can't see any groups under the groups tab...perhaps I haven't been here long enough to earn it 😉
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

Oh, It's about the 3rd group down in the list. The group organiser is Katherine_cancervic. I hope you find it. 🙂
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

Or if you scroll down to the bottom of this page there are a group of profile pictures. You may have the same pictures as me. the one of the daffodil is Katherine_cancervic, You can try send her a private message. I think she is a health professional.
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

http://www.cancerconnections.com.au/groups/gynaecological-cancer
0 Kudos
SamR
Occasional Contributor

Hi Heidi, The gynae cancer group is a good group to discuss things, Katherine works for Cancer Council, so would be a good person to talk with, we are a friendly group. Will send a message to Katherine, with your user name, so that she can perhaps make contact with you. I was in my mid 30's when diagnosed with cancer... 11 yrs on, I can vividly remember the emotions. It must be doubly difficult to cope with, given you are also pregnant. Try to stay positive (difficult to do in the early days, I know!). Wishing you all the luck in the world for a successful treatment plan. Sam
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.