Recently diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

kj
Super Contributor

Re: Recently diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

Malcolm 

Sorry to read about your time spent in hospital with an infection and becoming depressed,glad you have family support when it’s needed, depression can definitely rear it’s ugly head at any time.

Good luck at oncologist Wednesday I hope you are well enough for next round of treatment,it seems to occur during treatments unfortunately.where the body needs extra time to recover.

looker_labs
Contributor

Sounds seroius

Have they discussed whipple procedure with you?

That does not involve the liver and you have to take care of that.

I'm trying to keep myself in shape because I want to be on the list

for a liver (i'm type 0+ and that's 25% of being compatible - or more - with any for tissue typing

that antibody antigen)

With 'spots' on my liver that are now just a shimmer now on ultrasound,

I can tell you no drinking and clean living - I still smoke, but no bacon

white starch OMG!

0 Kudos
MrD
Occasional Contributor

Hi there

They did discuss the Whipple procedure prior to me starting chemo, hopefully the treatment will shrink the tumor enough for them to remove it. It sounds like its an intense operation.

Haha...I'm missing bacon too!
0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Malcolm 

I only recently received confirmation that chemo is needed, a few days ago. It's getting more real every day, but I am still recently out of surgery, so still about 5 weeks away.

Yet to meet my oncologist. A lot of grey area around the whole thing so far.  I will keep following you to see how you go. I'm keen to hear more about your highs and lows. Hopefully to fill in more of my blanks.

All the best...

Phil

0 Kudos
MrD
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil
It became real for me when chemo started, first couple of sessions were fine, not knowing the unknown can be quite intimidating. I've learned that the chemo is doing its job albeit making you unwell to become well.
I'm on a high protein diet as I've lost 20kgs since diagnoses, they like you to maintain a certain weight when having chemo, lost 3kgs in between sessions last week due to being unwell and losing appetite.

I hope your recovery from surgery is a quick one Phil and i too would be interested in your progress.

Regards Malcolm
0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Malcolm 

How is progress ?

I started my chemo today. It sucks balls and hasn't even been 24hours.

I've actually been good at recovering weight since surgery. I started at 93 and back to 91, but I haven't recovered it as muscle. Still we need fat too. I'm just trying to keep moving and extend my exercise daily. 

Now with chemo starting, another life adjustment. I'm keen to keep exercise frequent to fight fatigue and weight loss.

I hope you are doing well. Hang in there.

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.