Secondary cancer

Warren
New Contributor

Secondary cancer

I have been diagnosed with cancer in the Lympth nodes in my neck. And told this is a secondary cancer . This was done , by an ultrasound guiding a biopsy heels in my neck. I have also had an CT scan of my chest and neck . But no cancer four . So no primary yet Still waiting to see the Oncologist. Who I'm told will order a camera down my throat to see if the primary is there. I'm told it's a good bet . As I have a horse voice at the moment. And find it hard to sell low most of the time. My question is "Who's secondary cancer is in their lymph nodes ??? Warren
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Re: Secondary cancer

Warren, mate I'm no expert, just dealing with a recent diagnosis myself, but I understand it works like this: Cancer is commonly first found in the lymph nodes because they swell up. If cancer is in a primary site, then its normally the adjacent lymph node that swells. (Example, my left neck lymph node was swollen and the cancer turned up on my tonsil). From the first lymph node, it's trying to spread elsewhere in your body, and it's paramount you stop this from happening. If the primary cancer is unknown they call it an "occult" cancer, and treat the area, blasting it with radiation, rather than targetting only the cancer as much as possible (so it's a good idea to find out where exactly the cancer is). I did a thing called a PET scan, where you take a radioactive protein that spreads through your body to find toxic cells and highlight them .. apparently it's a definitive way to locate cancer in your body. I'd personally ask for this.
0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Also, the doctors dismiss it as scientifically unfounded, but I think nutrition and the body's auto-immune response is an important part of dealing with cancer. If you don't want it to spread you should create as much of an inhospitable environment in your body for cancer as possible. Our autoimmune system has these things called "hunter killer" genes that are designed to find, attack, bond with and excrete toxins (like cancer). Read about that stuff and decide if it's important: immunity, antioxidisants, maintaining an alkaline inner environment (cancer thrives in acid apparently) If nothing else, a nutrition focussed diet change will make you feel better.
0 Kudos
Annie71
Occasional Visitor

Hiya Warren,Im Anne. and my secondary cancer is in my chest lymph nodes..My primary is in my left lung,hiding behind my heart,so they  didnt find it for a while. it never showed on xrays..I ended up with a lung infection,so they scanned me from all angles and found a mass in my lower left lung,around 7cm in diameter.  Just had first round of chemo and radiation is ongoing,start second lot of chemo on the 19th dec. I was first diagnosed with COPD...thats what led them to find the mass..

0 Kudos
Lizzy123
New Contributor

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with tonsil cancer. 1cm primary. Large lump in

lymph node removed neck dissection. PET scan didn't she any other hot spot other than tonsil. 

I'm doing as much research as I can at the moment. 

Do you know  Why  they can't just remove my tonsil? No one seems to be very clear on this. 

Also as got diet I read your comment on cancer thriving on acid. I have been drinking  apple cider vinegar is that considered acidic? 

Thanks, 

lizzy

0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Hey Lizzy

I've gone through tonsil cancer myself - I know whacking out the tonsils might feel obvious, and of course it is .. if it were in any way an option it would be the first recourse, no doubt.  If it's not on the table, what it probably means is that the cancer has progressed to the point that it's closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.  More robust treatment is called for.  Essentially if disease is in the lymph node, that means the advanced primary tumour has grown enough that it wants to go exploring elsewhere in your body, and the lymphatic system is it's means of transportation.

You've got to jump into treatment and be aggressive about it, and trust your doctors, I reckon.  It's an awful show, I won't play it down - but you can come out the other side and feel human again.  Chemoradiation just isn't fun.

Acid/Alkalyne .. I wouldnt read too much into it .. it's interesting stuff, but basically the body is constantly adjusting acidity levels, it's just a normal part of day-to-day body function.  If you're concerned about things you can take control of, I'd suggest looking more generally at diet, cutting out over-processed food and drinks, especially anything that has any whif of cancer-causing rep .. like for instance soft drinks in general and those "ZERO" soft drinks in particular.  And certainly if you smoke and/or drink to excess:  stop.

Talk to your doctors, ask questions again and again until you're satisfied .. and good luck.

0 Kudos
Lizzy123
New Contributor

Hey captain Aussie 

Thanks for getting back. Geez this last few weeks have been crazy!

They took out both my tonsils and tumour. Now tomorrow, I am having a course of radiation therapy as a precautionary. I don’t have to do chemo now as the tumour has been removed. 

I feel a lot more positive than I did. 

I don’t smoke I am a total fitness freak so this was all a shock to me everyone. 

Thanks again 

Lizzy 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.