Todays news: i have breast cancer

Sylvia1212
New Contributor

Todays news: i have breast cancer

Biopsy results came in and ive been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. Currently waiting for Oncologist to get back to me and to make an appointment. Im 33 with a 2 year old. Im just numb. I dont think ive processed it. It just doesnt seem real.

4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Todays news: i have breast cancer

Hi @Sylvia1212,

Welcome to the community, this is a safe space for you Heart

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Have you had your appointment with your oncologist yet? 

You might find this podcast on coping with a cancer diagnosis good to listen to.

You may also like to consider our Connect program, where you can speak with one of our trained volunteers who has been through the same or similar diagnosis as yourself. Sometimes speaking with someone who has been through it, can be very helpful. You can contact the team on 02 9334 1870.

0 Kudos
Nicolad
Frequent Visitor

I’m the same as u diagnosed today. I would love to chat with you please

0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

I can't add anything helpful, except to tell you you're not alone  

When I was diagnosed, my youngest son was 3.  My middle boy (then 5) is autistic and has an array of challenges with his development and schooling.  My eldest (then 7) had undiagnosed ADHD and needed help in order to get his education on-track.  And I have always felt deeply that my most important reason for being on Spaceship Earth is to steward those beautiful little boys into a happy and successful adulthood ... 

.. so the idea of checking out early was a terrifying kick in the guts.

I'm sorry, I wish I could somehow reduce or mitigate your fear and pain, all I can do is tell you that youre not alone and that you aren't (I HOPE !!) gone yet.  Fight, pay whatever toll you have to pay to survive.  Even after a total mastectomy, you'll still be vital, beautiful people, don't get caught up on the costs & details .. focus on survival.  Don't get overwhelmed, find your anchor as you'll need a lot of mental strength to get through this.

Incidentally, I had a 50% chance of curative treatment, and if it failed, they gave me 6 months to live.  almost 2.5 years later, I remain cancer free and have a good outlook to stay that way (touch wood).  So the odds can be beaten.

Good luck, I hope you win your fight.

Sylvia1212
New Contributor

Hi Nicole

We made contact a few weeks ago and i am wondering how you are travelling?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.