Waiting for results

Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Waiting for results

Hi all

I am a newbie to this site. 
Last Tuesday I presented myself to emergency hospital with pain in abdomen.  
Doctors thought it appendicitis, had a ct scan with contrast. 
The doctor came back and told me I had a huge mass in abdomen, ovarian cancer and liver cancer. My world was shattered. 
Was transferred to gyno hospital and stayed 3 nights. Had a fluid biopsy last week and to date I do not know what I have. The waiting is terrible. 

13 REPLIES 13
Colin81
Contributor

Re: Waiting for results

Hi Dianna58,

You are quite right the waiting is terrible, you will have to endure many things especially waiting, some experiences will be unpleasant etc. but each treatment or procedure is part of the way forward do not give up hope no matter what.

You are not alone, this group you are now part of have pretty much experienced everything to do with cancer, go forward, meet the obstacles head on, ask as many questions that you like from us, someone has been there before you. Try and stay positive as much as possible, there will be moments when all seems lost, grieve for the parts of your life that seem gone, cry when you need to, but always look forward to getting better.

It took me 18 years to be finally  free of my cancers, I waited on all the results, I waited on every Dr's opinion (still do on both of them), waiting seems to be a large part of what we have to do and will continue to do.

If you can get into a routine, I always (still) take a small bag with me, water, treats, favorite book etc, note-book (for your questions for the Dr, write them down when you think of them at home, there is no such thing as a dumb question). We (I) tend to forget things when the Dr's start talking as we (I) get easily sidetracked when they throw something else into the conversation. I always took a bag (my wife called it an 'expecting' bag) kept it in the boot of the car, it contained underwear, wet pack (shaving, tooth paste etc.) and other things for when they say you have to stay in hospital, which happened a lot for me. Just makes it a bit easier if its convenient and all there.

Whatever they tell you it can always be worse, try to stay as positive as you can.

Thinking of you

Colin

Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Hi Colin 

Many thanks for your reply. 

Once I know what I have then I can wrap my head around treatment and surgery. 
At the moment it’s the unknown. 
Forums are great to share stories and feelings. 

0 Kudos
Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Katekat

Will post my diagnosis once I know

0 Kudos
Catty
Occasional Contributor

I know how you feel, I had a similar story. Pain in the stomach area and scans showed it was kidney cancer. I had surgery about a month later and that has been nearly 2 months ago. It feels like it has been forever and I still feel up in the air with what has to happen.
I wish you the best of luck with your results. Take your  time to just process this and read the literature on this website. Ppl  here have been so kind and informative in sharing help and advice so reach out to all of your support networks 🙂

Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Hey Catty 

Hope you get your answers soon and many thanks for your kind words. 
The waiting is the hardest of all as I’ve mentioned.. 

I will have a lot to process once given a diagnosis.. then a plan. 

The support I’ve been shown is amazing. 
Thank you 

Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Hello all 

Today I had my mammogram and it came back as an old cyst. Great I was not fussed. 
I am now in a private hospital getting accessed. 
Let’s hope I can get treatment ASAP. 
Next reply will be an update. 
Thanks to all. 
xx. 

Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Things are moving quickly for me. 
Monday I have a pep scan

Tuesday I see surgeon he had to do a liver biopsy under sedation. 
Then chemo starts

Liver biopsy done in hospital still under investigation.  Don’t know what category of cancer it is on ovaries. 
Nevertheless I am being looked at in the private sector.

For all reading this post I was told by a nurse in the public sector chemotherapy was going to cost me tens of thousand of dollars this is untrue.  My oncologist was so mad about misinformation by nurses. Not the first time he has heard this from patient. 
My journey is beginning and I am positive me and my family will see it through. I think of my adult children and husband . Don’t want them to worry. So that gives me strength 

take care all. 
until my next update. 
xx. 

Colin81
Contributor

Hi Dianna58,

Glad to hear that your treatment is progressing, chemo's not much fun but sooner you start the sooner you will finish. I found that the first few doses were not to bad but 4,5 or 6 were tougher, don't give up.

I had all my treatments through the public health system and essentially it was free of charges although it sometimes did cost for medicines dependent on what they were and where they were bought. It did cost me 'several hundred thousand' in lost income for all the time off work but the enormous amount of tests and confinements in hospital over the years did not. If I had had to pay for all treatments (the chemotherapy is the price of a small car) I certainly would not be hear now.

You should talk to your GP or the social services at the hospital for any assistance that may be available to you, not just money but actual help in transport, accommodation and  other things, I used the accommodation at Concord several times (at a nominal fee) and I know there is some out of  Westmead as well, many services are available, but you should ask. It is going to be hard enough doing chemo and could lighten the load somewhat with extra help.

We are all with you on this.

Colin

Be positive, go forward, face all these trials head on.

0 Kudos
Dianna58
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone 

Update 

I have stage 3c ovarian cancer with a mass

So far I have entered 8 weeks into chemo with seven more weeks to go. 

Once everything has shrunk they will remove all my girlie bits and more ...then continue with another 3 months of chemo. 
It’s a long road ahead but I take day by day and try to stay positive. 
The survival rate is 50 /50.

I ask myself how long is a piece of string. 
If anyone has this cancer would love to hear from u. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.