Cancer - the gift that just keeps on giving

samex
Regular Contributor

Re: Cancer - the gift that just keeps on giving

Hi Tashie. you have come to the right place here. This is where poeple actually get that the cancer experience doesn't finish when tretament stops. Your side effects sound pretty awful but it seems that we (or most) are left with a chemo legacy of some sort or another. Mine is neuropathy in my hands and feet.But as I say, I am here to feel it. My only other piece of advice is that if you feel a level of depression sinking in, don't leave it too long to get some oprofessional help. i did so it took me much longer to recover. It is surprisinglu common for cancer survovors to experience a level of depression. our lives and our view of the world has changed and we have to learn how to deal with that. Our family has now embraced the quote from 'The Exotic marigold Hotel'(after my son was diagnosed with depression as well)- 'It will be all right in the end and if it's not all right, it's not the end yet.' For cancer survivors we may not wish for the ultimate end, but for my sona dn I, it gives hope. A slightly belated birthday hug. S
0 Kudos
Tashie
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cancer - the gift that just keeps on giving

Thank you very much for your wise words (and the birthday hug). I will certainly use that quote if you don't mind. I actually found myself having a breakdown at work today. I think I cried for a solid 6 hours. When I started having thoughts of why didn't the doctors just let me die, I knew it was time to seek help. I phoned Cancer Council and had a long conversation with a very nice nurse. She is going to put me in touch with a counsellor. I have never experienced anything like this before and it was quite scary. Sorry you have neuropathy. That is not a nice thing to have - my dad has it. I do hope that it doesn't progress any worse for you. I think you have been through enough. I think I may take some medication and have an early night. Hopefully my happy face will be back on tomorrow. Got to get ready to face Thursday, my 3 month check up. Take care Tash
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.