Terrifed to check

CathyMag94
New Contributor

Terrifed to check

I was diagnoses with advanced Stage 2 Kidney Cancer a week after turning 21. I was celebrating with my family the night before, next morning I was rushed into emergency with terrible pains, peeing blood clots and constantly vomiting. I was told the cancer had only been there less than a year and had grown to 10cm. Spent 2 weeks in hospital and in that time found it hard for my body to keep anything down without getting sick. The cancer along with my right kidney was removed and no chemo was required. Though I was put on a 10 year check up. 

After 1 year of check ups and tests I decided to stop as I have a history of anxiety and depression from my own fathers passing of cancer when I was 13, and the constant reminder was so stressful it was keeping me from moving on.

Lately I have been thinking of getting a blood test or scan on my other kidney due to some pains.

I am scared. What should I do? I don't have anyone to talk to as no one in my family or friends have ever had cancer and wouldn't understand what I am going through mentally.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
CathyMag94
New Contributor

Re: Terrifed to check

I forgot to mention this is my 3rd year in remission.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Yes mentally it can be very challenging to stop the thoughts of what if about cancer returning when in remission,I think you are not alone with those thoughts,however by having regular screening checks if it returns you can have early treatment,I have seen first hand from a family member what depression and anxiety can do to someone,ultimately it is your decision but if you are having problems with your other kidney I would have the necessary tests to find out.And take it from there.

RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi CathyMag94,

I know that it is easy for me to say because I have been lucky in getting my cancer diagnosed and treated early, but the sooner that you get things checked, the more options and control you will have about your treatment and, thereby, your prognosis. Look at it from the viewpoint that cancer got to you, but that was in the past. And now you are managing it. Keep it in check and you deal with it before it deals with you. Take the upper hand and trust in the medicos to do their part to get you through whatever gets thrown your way.

My creed now is "If something doesn't seem quite right, do something about it before it is too late!".

Make your own luck and get it checked.

Rick

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.