A new survivor in the ranks

The_Rowan
Contributor

A new survivor in the ranks

Hi everyone, I am a cancer survivor who has been pointed in your general direction by the Counciling services provided by the Cancer Concil. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Endometrial cancer in late July 2011, and as a result I have had a radical hysterectomy which removed all the cancer without the need for chemo or radiation therapy. I look forward to reading about your experiences and how you have coped with the onslaught of information you have had to deal with, and if possible, being able to help and support others who may need someone to listen to them or who are just starting out on the road to recovery. We all try to be strong for family whilst all this is happening to us, but sometimes we need to talk to someone who knows what we go through and have them tell us it is ok to put yourself first.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: A new survivor in the ranks

Congratulations on successful treatment . It looks as though your cancer was found early. The Cancer Council is wonderful ,I think.
0 Kudos
smellingtherose
Occasional Contributor

Hi I joined this site recently looking for others that had the same treatment as me, I was unlucky - the doctors words - my cervical cancer had got to stage three - two and a half years after a normal pap smear, my treatment was first a conebiopsey then waiting then the radical hysterectomy with the removal of 32 lymph nodes in late Oct 2011. More waiting. All this has taken a toll on both my physical and mental abilities = something that others who have not had this same ordeal can not understand. I have felt so isolated, my friends and family now just act like it never happened. This site has been great
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

Hi Smellingtheroses, Sorry to hear that you cancer was not diagnosed until Stage three. Whilst I cannot fully relate to everything that you have gone through, I can understand how you are feeling about the physical and mental abilities, and how family in particular now act like nothing has happened. I don't know what your family status is, but I am a single, middle aged women who has never married, never had children and lives alone. With family (siblings)acting like nothing ever happened, I sometimes find it hard to cope all by myself. Fortunately, I have a handful of good friends to see me though....unfortunately, they all live interstate and their support is mostly by listening to me over the phone. As you said, this site is very helpful, and the Cancer Council itself also has a number of options for you to explore. Please keep your chin up and don't let the buggers get you down. Put yourself first at all times and look after yourself.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

To Smelling the Roses, some of my siblings were like that,I have 9 sisters and 2 brothers .My mum is alive and my dad died in 1973. Some of my siblings were very supportive, some have never had a conversation with me about it ,some one conversation only. It is 2 years since my diagnosis .I have accepted their reactions for the most part . I decided that if they don't ask I won't say anything and if they do I answer openly ,telling some more than others. It's similar with friends. I am ok about this.
0 Kudos
smellingtherose
Occasional Contributor

HI Rowan, thankyou for your kind words, I think we all need the validation for knowing that we are not alone. I am also a single 51 yr old, I left a bad marriage 11 years ago and have two boys 22 and 18yrs - boys dont get it! I think im lucky to be single realy it would take a very strong man to stand by you through all this - but I do hope to change that one day. The funny thing is my best friend was very supportive but didnt cope very well she was single for two years and suddenly decided to get out there and start dating well she has a man now and i dont see much of her now. My youngest son lives at home he hasn't coped very well he has been so angry it makes me sad - but he has always been very protective of him mum. I guess we both haven't handled the situation the best, he calls me an alien anyway things are starting to look up he has actually been talking to me the last week. I seem to be venting again, I keep telling myself it is early days yet and yes I am learning to put myself first. This whole ordeal seems to change the way you think about everything, well life in general, I find it amazing how it has changed me (for the better) so I guess I cannot blame others for changing as well. So heres to 2012 (thank god my boys are old enough to fend for themselves) Im looking forward to doing alot of things of haven't done before. I hope you are doing ok at work and getting stronger every day. I hope to chat again soon. Teresa (smellingtheroses)
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.