ABC News - Could I eat the recommended amount of fruit and veggies each day?

laura-nswcc
Cancer Council Team

ABC News - Could I eat the recommended amount of fruit and veggies each day?

I came across this article over the weekend (linked below), and it had me thinking about the fruit and veggie recommendations and how easy/difficult it can be to achieve these.

I know that looking at my dietary habits over the last year in lockdown, I fall into 2 types of eating - 1) I have more time to cook and I am making delicious, nutritious meals, but then being tempted and falling into 2) Let's get some takeaway pizza, Thai etc.

In general, the guidelines are to eat 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegetables. How are you trying to meet these? I've been enjoying grapes recently with some yoghurt (1 serve fruit, 1 serve calcium) and either an orange or apple each day.  I have also been cutting up cucumber and cherry tomatoes to make a snack pack, in addition to veggies at dinnertime.

Do you have any tips to include more fruit and veggies in your diet?

The Cancer Council has some great recipes to help you to achieve these recommendations: 

Read the ABC News article here - https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/eating-the-recommended-amount-of-fruit-and-veg/100201402?utm_campaig...y

2 REPLIES 2
Raymond_Wang
Occasional Contributor

Re: ABC News - Could I eat the recommended amount of fruit and veggies each day?

For me, I try to incorporate veggies and fruits into what I'm already going to eat, like adding more salad veggies into my breakfast sandwich, lettuce/cucumber etc. when I'm making noodles for lunch, or adding peas and carrots when I'm making scrambled eggs etc.. I also place fruits and veggies where I will definitely see them in the refrigerator, so that I will be reminded to include them in my diet.

Keen to hear tips from others who also have ways to include fruit and veggies in their diet 😄

laura-nswcc
Cancer Council Team

Re: ABC News - Could I eat the recommended amount of fruit and veggies each day?

Great tips Raymond! 🍇🍉🥕

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.