Brain and Body Balance

survivorsays
Occasional Contributor

Brain and Body Balance

Hi Anyone and everyone, I am almost 2 years cancer free, nine months from treatment and trying now to get my strength back. Sore knees, sore shoulders and of course scar tissue on left side. I am trying swimming lanes and love being in the water. Not sure how hard to go at this. Had three bouts of shingles in the fall from trying to do too much too soon. My head says go go go, but I'm afraid my body will say no no no. My feet and hands are still goofy, hurt some days and stiff others. Is this a residual chemo thing or maybe just a normal arthritis thing. I'm almost 48 but maybe my body has aged a lot in the last 2 years. Any advice or shared experiences on the exercise thing?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tracy63
New Contributor

Re: Brain and Body Balance

Yep, that would be me. I was working as a fitness officer with disabled clients before diagnosis & treatment. I used to work out on & off for 7 hours a day! I finished treatment in November, took leave until July 1st, and WHAM! I can't do the job anymore! exhaustion, injury, and a cell deep tiredness that just comes on so fast - without warning. On top of that I LOVED my job & now I am dealing with the anxiety/depression that goes with not being able to do what I used to do... and not having any income I'm going to suggest, for both of us Survivorsays, GO SLOW - BE GENTLE! Water exercise sounds like a REALLY good idea - resistance without impact - walking in water (not ON it :-O) will help build muscle & aerobic fitness. I'm doing some gentle yoga stretches, nothing pretzelly, and I find it's a nice way to listen to & "make friends" with my body again. I'm walking as often as I can (the dogs insist) and on some days it's very, very slow and I have to take rests. So be it. Better than nothing.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Brain and Body Balance

I think you would be doing a lot better by now as your post was months ago . I hope so .
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.