Coping after treatment

emmawestrup
Not applicable

Coping after treatment

Hi there to all you survivors...I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in Aug '14 and have had low dose chemo, radio- and brachy- therapy which ended mid-Nov '14. I need some advice now on how to cope with the uncertainty of what lies ahead. My mood is very very low as I await my first follow up PET scan on Feb 18th...terrified doesn't even begin to describe how I am feeling. I want to be a survivor but how to get that doubt out of my head I don't know. Life seems so pointless and futile and it has lost all its joy. All words of wisdom and experience would be gratefully received - I feel I am going crazy
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Coping after treatment

Hi Emma, I don't share your experiences exactly (my husband has cancer), but I definitely agree with you about waiting for tests etc. It's just horrible. You're definitely not going crazy- it really is that bad. Everyone on this forum has gone through the waiting process at some stage, and we can all understand where you're coming from. All I can suggest is that old cliche of taking one day at a time (it's become a cliche for a good reason), and distracting yourself from worry if possible. Good luck with everything, and know that we're all here for you. love and hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi Emma it can be difficult to come to grips with diagnosis and treatment of cancer,the waiting for results of all tests can really unsettle you,however life does go on,we each deal differently,I am currently in remission 4 years 4 months,i have an appointment this week for the results of my Tumor marker blood test,So I am a touch nervy before I receive the results . I do have an idea of your feelings,most times I have my emotions under control,I was originally diagnosed terminal I have gone past my expectancy ,sometimes the medicos do get it wrong.as Emily posted take it one day at a time I know that is my way,Possibly have a chat to your Gp he may be able to suggest something that helps,I chat to my family and friends often ,that is my support network.good luck Kj
0 Kudos
nello
Contributor

I have a 12 month check up on Feb 9th. I am starting to feel a bit nervous - doubts and 'what ifs' keep popping into my head. I think this is a pretty common experience. If you're crazy, then I'm crazy too. Haha. My policy is not to worry about things beyond my control (ie recurrence of cancer) but sometimes it's impossible. I think meditation is great for destressing. Activities that keep you distracted like watching movies, exercise and stuff like that are good too. Fingers crossed to us!!
0 Kudos
Zen-moment
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emma - gosh it's hard isn't it? I am 7 years in remission from an aggressive breast cancer and it's only this year that I've come to realise that I've been treating my body as the enemy and I need to do something therapeutic around it. I used to panic a lot about whether it was coming back; how long did I have; how could I face a relapse and more treatment etc etc - my comment to my Oncologist during the early stages of post-treatment was "I think I could have prepared well for dying - it's the surviving and living on that I'm not sure how to do!" Reality is that cancer changes us on all sorts of levels and our task is to live on, and integrate these changes into who we are. I found talking to a therapist really helpful - and setting small but enjoyable goals for myself. I remind myself every day that I'm so blessed to be here and to be cancer free TODAY. What tomorrow brings is up to the Universe - I'll help by doing everything within my power to stay healthy and well. Hope you feel a bit brighter soon - it gets better, one day at a time :) Zen
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

I have to agree with Zen-the uncertainty of post cancer life is really hard. My husband has been in remission for 4 years, and I've had to make an effort to concentrate on living the great life we have now, and not just be 'waiting'. I saw a therapist as well, and also found it really helpful in dealing with the 'new normal', and addressing my fears about him relapsing. I also agree with Zen that it does get better gradually. Big hugs to all, Emiy
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.