Dont be shy

Not applicable

Dont be shy

Hi everyone, Im butterfly, I was diagnosed with cancer in mid 2006 I was 30. I had surgery, chemo and radiotherapy as treatment. I have a good prognosis and am really thankful for that. The cancer council website was something I stumbled on during my treatments for cancer. I started posting on the 'old' forum when it first started and had some great conversations. I found it really thereputic to be able to communicate with other people online and getting a lot of these things off my chest that I wasnt happy to share with family. Now the new forum is here it is even better than the last and much more user friendly. I know how daunting it can be to post a message for the first time, but once you do you will be happy you did. I'm looking forward to chatting to new people on here as this is a great outlet. Anyway...that's my introduction. Looking forward to chatting to other people soon.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
admin_one
Contributor

Re: Dont be shy

Hi butterfly, Thanks for your introduction. It is good to hear that you found the communication with others to be helpful. I thought I would jump in and introduced myself. As you know I am one of the persons in the online support team. I am very passionate about finding ways to use websites to make a positive difference in people's lives. I have worked in online projects that helped communities in Sierra Leone, Kenya and Uganda. My life was first touched by cancer when my cousin had a brain tumour. He was 16 the time and was the same age as me. My aunty is receiving treatment for bowel cancer and is doing well so far. If you have any comment or idea to improve the website feel free to send me an email or a private message. Talk soon.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi all, Thought I would join in on the introductions - my name is Louisa, and I work with totocol at Cancer Council. I'm the project coordinator for the Carers Project, so I look after the resources for partners, family and friends on this site. Looking forward to meeting some more members in the community as it grows and expands. Louisa
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Hello, I agree with the above messages. This is a great site to meet new people and chat. I really believe that if you have something bothering you about anything, there is sure to be someone that has been there before, so you can share your thoughts and ideas. I also found too, that if you want to actually talk to someone the help line is very good. I had something bothering me, and so made the phone call and the lady on the other end of the line was so reassuring, even offered to call back in a few week's time. I felt so much better talking to her, and true to her word I received a call back. Best wishes to all, and welcome especially to all our new online friends.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.